• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mITX build for school

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zephos

I'm coming up on the end of my junior year in high school, and I've recently realized something that slightly distresses me; my full-tower phantom case will not fit in a dorm. I've been mulling over what could be done, and I think I've found my solution.

Browsing youtube, I saw linus from ncix doing an ITX build and an mATX build. This would be great. I'd like to keep some of the components I have already so I don't have to pay for another full PC, or otherwise sell off this one and use the money for an itx.

I already have an H60 cooler, which is a slim rad so no problems there and the CPU would be nice and cool. I'd like to use the Phenom II I've got right now, I'm extremely happy with what I can do with it. I have one SSD, would buy another one, and use one of the HDD I've got right now. I'd rather it be a pretty inconspicuous, too. Also, I'd want a GPU with a blower fan, so that'd probably end up being a gtx 670.

I'm just looking for any tips on components, strategies, or whatever else you'd like to say. I'll answer any questions, or if anyone feels like buying this video card I'd be willing to listen (a joke...sort of).

Why don't you just buy a mid tower case? surely that would fit in your dorm. For instance this: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58078&vpn=CC650DW&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1360

Because in all honesty i think you should just get to college/university and wait and see, because you'll need all the money you can get when you get there, so why not save a few bucks, and wait and see, i'm sure your dorm buddies will think it's fine if you take up a little extra room with your RAD PC as long as your share and let them play games too :p

Haha I totally agree in the case of University of Illinois, because I can be grouped with other freshman going into my major (hopefully computer engineering). In other schools, I have no idea what the reaction would be. A mid-tower's probably not a bad idea either, basically anything that'll blend more than this big guy. Your link redirected me to the front page, by the way.

On an unrelated note, I see that you've got the phantom too. Is it true that aftermarket fans from other companies won't fit into here? It's a little to late, cause I already filled the thing with orange led nzxt fans, but I'm just wondering. Also, did your top I/O seem really fragile? My usb's always seemed to stick out, and I snapped the connectors in the 3.0 as a result

Exactly, they'll think it's cool trust me... and NZXT cases for the most part will only allow the usage of NZXT Fans because of the silly fan mounting -_- except for the front fan, which i managed to get a cheapy fan into :p

And nope mine didn't feel fragile, they seem pretty strong compared to my last case...

also it's the Corsair Obsidian 650D was the Mid tower i was recommending...

That Obsidian is really nice. Almost too nice. I'd rather not put $200 into just the case because I need to bump up to a 660ti for ~$300.

I was thinking something more in the price range of an NZXT Source or Fractal R4. I'm leaning toward the Source: good reviews, maker I've had a good experience with, and the black interior is really what puts it ahead for me.

Back