• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

~$2k PC Building Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goose90proof

Come one, come all! :welcome: As pc building threads are my favorite kind of thread, I want everyone to join me in my revelry as I fantasize about all the bits and bobs that go into the fun, fun, fun process of building a new pc. :bday: I've got some extra cash coming my way (hooray for hard work) and I intend to blow it all on a new computer. I'm still on the Nehalem platform, and I figure it's about time I make the jump. I've put together a tentative list of parts on pc-part-picker which can be found here.

Now, where you guys n gals come in... I need your help with this. I shop from time to time, but I'm not on the up n up on what's best right now, plus, I always forget things, especially when I get excited (which I am), so I need your help.

I'm sure I want the 3770K and the Sabertooth mobo, and the noctua, the crucial RAM (actually this low profile version), and the SSD, but things I'm uncertain about are the video card and the power supply. I didn't really have a rhyme nor reason to picking those. I don't even know if I want to do SLI. :confused:

Basically, what I'm asking you folks is...
  • What video card should I get? I want something moderately future proof, that doesn't consume too much of the budget.
  • Should I do SLI?
  • What power supply should I get?

Thanks for reading.

- Downgrade the i7 and the Sabertooth to an i5 3570k and a Z77 Extreme4.
- Get a SLI of GTX680 4GBs. This is for gaming, aight? You want GPU > CPU any day.
- Downgrade from the 512GB 840 Pro to a 256GB m4. Keep your current HDD / buy a WD Blue / Barracuda for storage. Move everything media / games you use once in a lifetime to the HDD (use two Steam libraries). No need for enterprise RE4 / Constellation drives.
- Replace the D14 with a Swiftech H220.
- Get a Kingwin Lazer Platinum 850W. It is a nice PSU, IIRC jonnyguru reviewed it and gave it a nice score.
- Do you really need an optical drive? Buy a cheap pendrive instead and copy your OS ISO there.
- You could keep your case.

1000 watt PSU. Read our PSU forum.

Titan GPU, you know you want one.............. Reviewed on our front page. Only need one.

The Titan is nice, but it's way too much money.

- Downgrade the i7 and the Sabertooth to an i5 3570k and a Z77 Extreme4.
- Get a SLI of GTX680 4GBs. This is for gaming, aight? You want GPU > CPU any day.
- Downgrade from the 512GB 840 Pro to a 256GB m4. Keep your current HDD / buy a WD Blue / Barracuda for storage. Move everything media / games you use once in a lifetime to the HDD (use two Steam libraries). No need for enterprise RE4 / Constellation drives.
- Replace the D14 with a Swiftech H220.
- Get a Kingwin Lazer Platinum 850W. It is a nice PSU, IIRC jonnyguru reviewed it and gave it a nice score.
- Do you really need an optical drive? Buy a cheap pendrive instead and copy your OS ISO there.
- You could keep your case.

These are excellent suggestions. YES, it's fuh gamin' aight? (made me lol). How well does that i5 overclock? I will be retiring my current desktop as a dedicated folder, but I will also want to use this new pc to fold when I'm not using it. I've heard a lot of good things about the D14. Is that Swiftech sincerely a bad mofo? I will take your recommendation on the PSU, and the SSD. You are definitely right there.

I don't really need an optical drive. Sometimes I burn music or vids for family, but that's about it. I have a 64gb multiboot usb for diagnostics and installing wanders. It has plenty of storage space so I suppose that will suffice.

EDIT: About the case. My old case is horrible. I regret buying it. It has no cable management, has poor airflow, and it will be housing the old pc. I will probably change my decision on a case 50 times before I settle. I've been shopping for a new case for a while now.

EDIT2: This Kingwin PS is on sale on Newegg right now. I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and nab it while the gettin is good.

Last edited:
The Swiftech is the best 120x2 AIO on the market. It will give slightly better temps than a TOP air cooler at less noise, which you already have. But you can add the GPU with adding another rad easy enuff.

If you fold 24/7 and want big CPU overclocks, try your current great air cooler. Need more? Try the Swifty 220, you can add to it later easy enuff.

Woah, 680s are horrible price/performance.

Get one GTX Titan and be done with it, you can add more of those later if you really need it, which I doubt.

The rest, eh, i7 3770k, really the rest of the stuff you picked is fine, but get a GTX Titan, seriously.

The Swiftech is the best 120x2 AIO on the market. It will give slightly better temps than a TOP air cooler at less noise, which you already have. But you can add the GPU with adding another rad easy enuff.

If you fold 24/7 and want big CPU overclocks, try your current great air cooler. Need more? Try the Swifty 220, you can add to it later easy enuff.

I don't actually have the Noctua. I just did a lot of research on it a few months ago and decided it was what I wanted when I did upgrade the heatware for my comp, but I'll go with the swifty if that's what you guys recommend. I currently have an H50 (pos I know), and I had read about adding a rad and a loop to the video card so I may save that project for a better device like the swifty.

Woah, 680s are horrible price/performance.

Get one GTX Titan and be done with it, you can add more of those later if you really need it, which I doubt.

The rest, eh, i7 3770k, really the rest of the stuff you picked is fine, but get a GTX Titan, seriously.

Man are you guys serious? I get it's a beast, but damn it's like half my budget. Y'all are seriously making me consider it. Which is not good, because I am a compulsive buyer.

So are you saying go with the i7, or the i5? I need to cut costs somewhere. I really don't have much over $2k.

How many monitors are you going to use or what resolution is the single monitor going to be?

If it is a single 1080p you only need GTX 680. The PSU you have now will work fine in the new PC with SLI and overclocked.

Your choice on cooling the CPU is up to you. You have a good case and good airflow and don't plan to OC, then the stock cooler is fine. You plan to OC, start with a TOP cooler. Research. The Phantecs is pretty good. You want more, get the Swifty H220 and add more raddage as you need. And then you become addicted to watercooling. We have a seperate WC forum JUST for YOU. Might want to start hanging out there. We are a tough crowd there and expect folks to learn the stickies.

Hobby, no hurry.

How many monitors are you going to use or what resolution is the single monitor going to be?

If it is a single 1080p you only need GTX 680. The PSU you have now will work fine in the new PC with SLI and overclocked.

I've only got 1, 27" ViewSonic display. It is very old. It's maximum resolution is 720p, 1360x768 to be exact. I would like to buy 2 24" monitors if I can afford it, but it may not be feasible. I realize I should at least get 1 monitor that will output at higher resolutions or else it would be pointless.

I'm not recycling any of the old hardware. I'm going to keep the old pc running as a dedicated folding machine.

Your choice on cooling the CPU is up to you. You have a good case and good airflow and don't plan to OC, then the stock cooler is fine. You plan to OC, start with a TOP cooler. Research. The Phantecs is pretty good. You want more, get the Swifty H220 and add more raddage as you need. And then you become addicted to watercooling. We have a seperate WC forum JUST for YOU. Might want to start hanging out there. We are a tough crowd there and expect folks to learn the stickies.

Hobby, no hurry.

You, sir, did not read through! I do plan on overclocking. I'm leaning toward the swifty, but if I went air, I think I would choose the Noctua over the Phanteks. I did a lot of research into them both, as well as the Silver Arrow and while few will say the Phanteks is better, I've found the majority of peer reviews to reveal the Noctua to be superior.

I read in the water cooling sub-forum from time to time, but I'm not prepared to put the money into a proper water set up. The funds for this project were totally unexpected. :shock:

Look at the 140x2 Havok I think. 140x2 is much better than 120x2. Just a thought. Cheaper AIO, but raddage area matters. Still, the H220 is the best due to being from a TOP company and ability to expand if needed. We talk about it in the WC forum, we have a front page review also.

Back