• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I switch my mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlackLable

Registered
So here is my problem, I have a server and a gaming pc. I built the pc before the server. So now I'm looking at the server and I realized that the mobo on the server is better, or it seems to me that way.

The question is: Should I take my mobo out my server and put it in my pc?

Mobo currently in my pc: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A88TV_EVOUSB3/

Current mobo in my server: http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970 Extreme3/

Comparing the features should I do it? BTW the mobo in my pc has a higher FSB. Does that really make a difference?

Well without knowing more about the configuration like the two cpus involved, there is no way to make an informed suggestion.

Sorry, IDK why my signature is not showing up... But this is my current PC configuration:

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz
PSU - Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W
GPU - GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6850 1GB
MOBO - ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Case - NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 Elite Black
Cooler - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

I am not planning to keep the CPU that is in the MOBO, The current CPU that i have in my PC i will put in the mobo i move in. The CPU in the Server is AMD Athlon II X3 3.2GHz

970 extreme 3 probably overclocks better, but the only way to know is to try, its also a newer board, with am3+ socket so if it was me I would swap them out.

Were it me, I would likely leave as they are. Moving to the 970 EXT3 for the AM3+ feature is just about a waste as you would see from the users coming into the AMD Cpu Forum section with those 970 EXT3 boards that are very very weak for the FX processors. Your mileage will not likely vary much since we have seen it in there now too too many times.

So for me I would leave as is but the stuff is yours, certainly do as your conceince guides.
RGone...

Is the board in the server that bad? So compared in features, which one is better? The 970 has UFEI. Which one would overclocking be better on for my current CPU?

The 88 motherboard (at least for Asus) is an 870 with a video chip on the motherboard.
The Asrock 970 Extreme3 is/was less expensive than an Asus EVO board, and effectively performs about the same.
The 970 hub (northbridge) has a few changes, you can research VRM differences, too.
If both are working well and accomplishing your tasks switching them seems a lot of effort without much gain.

Back