• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-6300 Overclocking noob help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bmilcs

- AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX
- ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
- Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply

Those are the components I'm working with. My CPU is advertised for 4.2 GHZ turbo and I assumed I'd be able to overclock it with ease.

After applying a 15% overclock, roughly 4 GHZ, I get the infamous black screen on boot. At a 10% overclock, I'm fine. I was wondering... is this due to a lack of power supplied by my PSU? Should I have gone with a more powerful device?

Also, I am looking to update the chipset for my motherboard. How can I find out exactly what I need? I went to the ASRock web site and was unable to locate anything labeled as chipset. Thanks again for all your help guys. I've been reading this forum for a long time and has helped me tremendously in the past.

Also, as far as overclocking my SAPPHIRE 100355-1GOCL Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card OC Version. How would you recommend I do so safely? I'd love to learn more in depth.

=)

I assumed I'd be able to overclock it with ease.= Many are the false assumptions in life.

Your percentage overclocker may not be adding enough voltage to the cpu when in 15% mode. Is most likely guess or the ram does not like being overclocked to the speed the Overclcocking Genie or Wizard or whatever it is called is upping the ram speed to.
RGone...

What are you doing, multiplier or FSB. I have the asrock board and it doesnt like high FSB, check my sig. CPU V at 1.425 should get you 4.5. It is a 95W TDP so shouldnt get as hot as the other vishera chips. Do you have a good heatsink??

- How would you recommend I do so safely? I'd love to learn more in depth. =)

:welcome: to the forum bmilcs
You'll have to forgive some on here for foregoing the formalities.
First thing you should do is give this thread a read it'll give you lot's of insight to OC'ing your chip and familiarize you with some of the terms we'll be using to assist you.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663

Next I'd uninstall whatever utility you are using to OC. Typically they don't work too well and can cause stability issues with your system. Do yourself a favour and familiarize yourself with the bios of your board.
Now that brings me to my next point your mobo will probably be the limiting factor for your OC. It only has 4+1 phase power and you'll find that the FX6300 is a very power hungry processor. So you'll end up with a heating issue in the VRM area. Thatr's not to say you won't have some sucess.

Download HWmonitor(non pro version) and prime95 then run prime with HWmonitor open check your temps the Tmpin2 shouldn't be over 70 and your core temp max is 60.
Post some shots of this in your next post along with CPu-Z spd and memory tabs. Then we'll see what we can do with what you've got.

I did the overclocking in bios. They have presets and I simply chose the %.

I have a Cooler Master heatsink and 120mm fan so overheating wont be an issue... As well as 4 case fans: 2 directly pointed at the CPU.

Thanks for the input.

The presets in the BIOS are most likely upping the FSB which in turn are changing the HT Link speed, NB Frequency, the Ram speed and the CPu speed. You are much better off doing it manually and learning the ins and outs of overclocking. You should have a read of this thread.

sin0822 sure wrote a good one that should be read a few times as you overclock these things.
I wish he would update it with piledriver.

Is there somewhere I can reference what people have done w/ my mobo / cpu combo? Such as values to test safely?

First thing you need to do is read the thread Johan posted. Then understand that overclocking is a process that takes patience. Evert system is different, even if it has the same components doesn't necessarily mean it will overclock the same way. I don't see in your post what heatsink you are using, you should put your system specs in your signature as a courtesy so we know what you have without scrolling back to your first post. The first things besides reading the post mentioned above is you need to download Cpu-z, Hwmonitor and prime 95. You should open hwmonitor and run prime 95 for 20 minutes at stock settings, so you have a baseline on your temps. Post a pic of hwmonitor under load as well as the following tabs in cpu-z, cpu,spd and memory. From there it is going to take patience as said above if you try to just plug in values and hope for the best it can be very frustrating. If you try and overclock slowly and watch your temperatures overclocking is generally "safe".

+1
Mandrake.
I could give you the numbers I run my 6300 at and they may or may not work.
the voltages i run would scare the hair right off mandrakes head and you would have learned nothing. safe is 55c for the core temps or package temp, 70c for the cpu or socket temp.
now please go read and play with the numbers and download and learn to use the programs Mr. Mandrake has listed.

Actually yes about 6 months later :p vroom vroom

this one went over my head gonester whats a Q-ship, I know I'm going to smack myself in the head when I get the answer. :)

:bang head Q- ships were disguised merchant ships that carried cannons depth charges and anti-submarine equipment. :bump:

RGone...

Shett in disguise was made very evident in high school. Mommy's and Daddy's were buying their kids SS396s and GTO's and such not and in my neck of the woods was a slightly older boy that 'rolled' his own cars. About the raggedy-est "looking" 57 chevy around. A real Q-car and he took a lot of monies from the Mommy's and Daddy's boys because his shett looked a wreck.
RGone...

You couldn't be more right RGone. I had a beat up old Nova in highschool, it would literally scare the crap out of people.

I have you both beat 1980 red honda civic 2 dr where the paint was faded so bad it almost looked pink :) Just like this one, found this in google images, do you like my custom editing, I took the people driving out of the picture.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    174.8 KB · Views: 4,177
Back