• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help With ASUS Crosshair III Formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarkD76

I am having to log onto my account via a laptop because my computer stopped working after an overclocking attempt. I increased the fsb speed from 200 to 210 and set the cpu speed to 3360. I haven't been able to post since. I even opened my case up and used the needle nose pliers in my computer repair kit to set the jumper to manually reset the cmos. Nothing has improved. I don't know whether the problem is my motherboard, my ram, my cpu, my hdd, my psu, my video card, or what. I used two separate ram sticks at different times in different slots. I also tried two different processors. I have yet to try the psu in my older rig, but I don't know what else to try. It's as if I don't have a cpu or any ram in any of the ram slots now. The psu does its job and powers everything up, but the monitor simply just goes into standby after 30 seconds of inactivity.

ASUS Crosshair III motherboard
AMD Phenom II x6 1100T BE (HDE00ZFBK6DGR) 3.3GHz
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE (HDZ955FBK4DGT) 3.2GHz
Corsair HX 850 psu
mushkin 2GB PC3-12800 6-9-7-24 1.65V (991959)
mushkin 2GB XP3-12800 7-7-6-18 1.85-1.95v (996601)
eVGA GTX 480 SC (015-P3-1482-AR)

Looks like I'm going to have to spend hundreds of dollars that I don't have on something that may or may not need to be replaced. Is there anyone who can give me some kind of advice to help me out of this predicament?

The one thing I hadn't thought of doing ended up being the one thing that worked; the CMOS battery. My video card sits directly on top of the CMOS battery, so that's why I'd completely forgotten all about it (out of sight, out of mind). Anyway, I took the battery out and waited for several minutes before reseating it. That did the trick. Ram's fine, cpu's fine, gpu's fine, everything's fine. Thanks to everyone who read my post and assisted me.

That is how you are supposed to reset CMOS properly. The buttons on the back of some boards hardly ever work, and the jumpers aren't any better.

Back