• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

500W missing connectors (adapters)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xander89

Ok guys being the fool that I am I bought a PSU that is unable to run the 2 7950’s I want to put in. Well wattage wise and rails wise I am pretty sure it’s fine/ solid, it’s just the lack of connectors.

I got a corsair builder CX 80 500w. The PSu has 1X6 pin and 1X8 pin ( I foolishly just read Xfire compatible and whacked it into the basket. That’ll teach me) So I am missing 1 6 pin and 8 pin. Now I haven’t used adapters in years and I was wondering whats the deal with them. Would an adapter with 2 4 pin molex connections running into a 8 pin suffice? The main issue I am worries about is that I am planning on OCing them. ( 1000mhz ideally.)

I was thinking of the following connectors.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-Ex...qid=1365680332&sr=8-8&keywords=4+pin+to+6+pin

&

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-Ex...qid=1365680417&sr=1-7&keywords=6+pin+to+8+pin

Any advice would be great, cheers. :attn:

Well, they seem fine, but with 500W, do not expect any OC with a 7950CF!

2x7950=>400w
2600k@5GHz/1.45v=>120w min
MoBo, fans, pump...=>100w

You are already well above the 500 rated watts!?

Edit: sorry, I misunderstood, you are going to dedicate the PSU to the GPU's, right

Well, they seem fine, but with 500W, do not expect any OC with a 7950CF!

2x7950=>400w
2600k@5GHz/1.45v=>120w min
MoBo, fans, pump...=>100w

You are already well above the 500 rated watts!?

Edit: sorry, I misunderstood, you are going to dedicate the PSU to the GPU's, right

haha dw about that ;) its only going to have a amd sempron 140 and 1 HDD that is it. In terms of wattage extra will probs be 50-60w. Total wattage on a calculator which vastly over rates what you need is 412 with the setup. I think even with an OC I will be dandy on a 500w. Worst comes to worst I have a separate old 500w to power the mobo and CPU

Also i am "semi" back, do occasionally check, but work has been manic as hell recently!

Last edited:
Two 7950s is 400w right there at full load. Quite possibly more given a bitcoin load.
That PSU only has 456w of 12v. That system will be cutting it awfully close.

The CX series is good for the money, but not that great really. Running 'em over spec is not advised.
I'd get a bigger/better PSU, personally.

not bitcoins ;) not worth it now those new mining rigs came out that do like 65gh/s. I will probs just use 2 psu's then, not point in spending more when i have a 500w lying about. I could probs do 1 card on the worse 500w and then the other card and mobo on the CX500. Worse comes to worse i rip the 850w out of my main rig which is totally overkill as i only have a 670 in there and that for the 2 7950's and use the 500w for my main rig. Been planning on getting a smaller wattage psu for my main rig anyhu. Also check this out.....

IMG_0572_zps9beabdf8.jpg

errrrrr those dont look like the same card. Think i am gona send back the smaller one, they were meant to be the same card. I cant actually find an exmaple of the smaller card anywhere it is still a 7950 with the exact same ram shaders, power connectors and stock core speed, but it is a 925m opposed to a 800m in the product description on the sticker on the side of the box.

haha that could be it, needless to say i shall be returning it ;) I cant actually find one exmaple of the shorter 7970, i am genuinely baffled :S

Before returning it, plug both of them in your current ruuning rig and check if there is any spec difference between the 2 with GPU-z.

Before returning it, plug both of them in your current ruuning rig and check if there is any spec difference between the 2 with GPU-z.

really cba right now im a bit nitpicky when it comes to these two things, it will send me round the bend if one card is shorter than the other! I will just time is of the essence here.

Mwuhahaha!! :rofl:

Didn' know what it means, so, went to check on Urban Dictionnary:

CBA = Can't Be Arsed.

CBA is a severe form of laziness.

Often comparable to a psychological/medical condition. CBA is most common in teenagers around the age of 16-17 years of age.
Person 1: You coming?
Person 2: Nah, I've got a severe case of CBA.

Person 1: What's wrong?
Person 2: I'm suffering from a chronic case of CBA.

Back