• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have a Sabertooth. I have a Thuban. Help me heat them up.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sri

Registered
I just put together a machine built off of the Sabertooth 990fx/Gen 3 r2.0 mobo. I decided to keep my old Thuban instead of Bulldozer. I cant seem to get my machine to keep a stable OC over 3.8. I am running Corsair Dominator Ram(apparently rated for 1600mhz, there is a profile for it listed in Aida 64). It was a 12 Gb kit, but I decided to pull one stick so I can run dual channel if that still applies. I honestly haven't done any serious OC'ing since my barton core if anyone remembers those. I would really appreciate some assistance or perhaps some one knows of an excellent guide on OC'ing AM3+. I was under the impression that this mobo/cpu combo can do 4.0 Ghz pretty easy. Thanks for any help that is offered.

Sri

About as good as it gets for an overclocking How-To. Following it you will necessarily get used to 'your' bios. Also a necessity.

Thuban Section includes how to overlock B.E. Thubans.

Mention of board and memory and cpu is a start on the items we are blind to when trying to overclock. Cpu Cooler in use. Power supply and well just look at my signature in this post and you will see what we really need to have visible so we can offer decent assistance.

You could run Prime95 in Blend mode for 20mins or until a worker quits AND WITH HWMonitor (free version) open on the desktop and capture the 4 images as shown below. Without which we are still pretty much blind. Luck to you.
RGone...

Here is what the 3 CPUz tab captures and the capture of HWMonitor could and should look like for neatness and ease of viewing for those that might wish to help with overclocking etc.

attachment.php

I would do all that if i knew how to post those snazy snapshots.

I dont know where to find the screenshot image after I press the prnt scrn key.

I give up I cant figure out how to get a frickin image in the body of my message text.

GO to your post #6 above and look for EDIT at the lower right of the forum menu and choose EDIT and then DELETE POST and Delete that useless garbage in that post. NO reason to leave that garbage of letters there.
RGone...

Oh C'mon these guys are giving you their time and this is the thanks they get. :mad: If you're not willing to put in an effort no one can help you.:bang head
Use windows snipping tool found in accessories, to capture your images they'll save to your pics, then use the advanced post you'll find a paperclip for attachments

I dont need his abuse I will get help over at extreme, where I don't have people insulting me right out of the gates.

I dont need his abuse I will get help over at extreme, where I don't have people insulting me right out of the gates.

Sri,
these are good experienced people trying to help you from miles away and free.

IMHO, if you can not read and follow simple instructions they are giving just to take a screen shot or snip shot and post it here, you are very likely unable to work around to get good set up on your machine.

You better off looking for some paid services in your local area pawn repair shops.

I dont care if the guy can oc a potato. If I get treated poorly I will go elsewhere.

I dont care if the guy can oc a potato. If I get treated poorly I will go elsewhere.

You have not been abused,

> THe guy clearly told you to attach the screenshots and they will have to look on it.
>You report you do not know how to attach screenshot.
>another guy jumps in and tells you to go to advance and attach screenshots. (BTW, this should be obvious after seeing that paperclip, if not we expect people to read around to figure out some common tasks)
>you come back to say you are giving up coz you can not figure out how to do that.

This all happened within an hour or so, You know that this is a forum, none of guys here are paid and they have their own chores, they may not be able to reply you within a minute or an hour.

Instead of humbly asking how to do the things, you are jumping to say "I am giving up with you guys". That's definitely not the attitude you want to show if you need help.
Rest is all on you, where you want to go to get help, what kind of help you expect.

All I can say is good Luck.

And the potato humper might be a bit short on patience but is one of the best OC'ers in this forum full of knowledge. He just gets tired of people wanting a quick fix who aren't willing to do some reading and work rto get a good understanding of what they are about to do.
EDIT: i suggest you re read post2 and follow that link. We reall aren't all that bad

I know how to OC a system. I have never had to take a screenshot of anything before. I just have never had cause to. I had a stable overclock before this waste of time thread started. I don't need a primer on what a FSB is. Like I said above, my last overclock was a Barton core back in the early 2000's. I have little to no experience with these new bios, excuse me... UEFI's. There are many new options on these Mobos and was looking for a bit of guidance in that respect. I have the aforementioned screenie at home on my desktop, and will post it when I get home. As for posting the screenshot initially, I did not see the little paperclip icon on the advanced post screen, which I will admit was an oversight on my part. My complaint was how he made me feel like an idiot for doing so. I do believe the request was made for system specs which I will provide below.

You May Need Help = We Need Info to Help.
MOBO > Sabertooth 990FX/Gen 3 r2.0 version 0305

CPU & Cooler > Phenom II 1100t with 3rd party heatpipe/fan block soon to be replace with H20 once I have rebuilt my reservoir/pump setup (Tuesday maybe)

MEMORY > Corsair Dominator 12GB kit Dont have P/N on me. I have included the memory tab in the screenie which will have the required info. It says its rated for 1600 9-9-9-24, at least there is an Enhanced profile for it in Bios. Have not been able to get it to run stable at those speeds.

POWER SUPPLY > 2 bridged PSU's both PC Power & Cooling an older 1kw(only 37amps on the 12v+) I use to power my Mobo and drives and such. Also a 750watt I use to power my GPU's exclusively (64 amps on 12v+)

VIDEO CARD > EVGA GTX 570 HD SC & GTX 570 SC (SLI)

HDDs/Optical drives > (c:)Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD (d:) Lite-on Blu-ray burner (e:) 2x WD Raptors in RAID 0 (f:) WD laptop drive (2.5") (Two separate SataIII controlers, SSD is by itself)

SOUND DEVICE > PCI Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro Gamer with front panel

USB > Just my Keyboard/mouse and Headphones

O/S > Windows 7 64

Case >Modified Sliverstone Temjin w/ Commander fan controler/ Noctua fans 2 92mm intake(back) 2 120mm exhaust(top) (H20 rig has a Thermochill p120 radiator with 3x Noctua 120mm High CFM fans supplied by an old Koolance RB-1000 5.25" drive bay pump/res. Water block is bit dated as well: CPU310 by Koolance.

Thats the best I can do off the top of my head untill I get home from work. Where I am working quite hard as you can see. ;)

It might simply be a temperature problem: most of the PhII's get unstable when reaching 53/55°C, nevermind the voltage.

My 955BE could not go over 3.9GHz (with a Megahalem Rev.B push/pull) under normal ambient temp (20/21°C): BSOD or reboot as soon as it was reaching 52/53°C. 4GHz were obtainable with a 8/10C ambinent).
I had to put it under water to reach 4.1GHz (with 48/50°C max on Prime95 load) in normal use conditions (not nice to keep the door open with no heating, lol).

This test lasted about 2.5 hours. I was able to perform some light tasks while running P95 in the background. Temps were a little high for my taste. I also noticed a slight variation of core voltage from 1.404 to 1.416 while the bench was running. I wonder if there is still some automated or green setting that might be causing this. The voltage setting in bios is set at 1.375 so something is giving the core a bump in V. I am still getting that .012V variation with idle processes. I am also concerned about my 5V and 3.3V going out of tolerance. I might just retire my old 1kw psu completely at this point. It was designed to power twin Nvidia 7950's back in the day, I may have got my money's worth with that one. There isn't that much more I can do really, until I get my CPU wet. At this point I would like to get that EPP on my memory to take before I start pushing the core and upping the cpu/nb. Should I try pushing the FSB and find my wall on that side?

Attachments

• test#1.jpg
    test#1.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 233
The voltage variation is likelely a your LLC being on auto. If you want a steady voltage set it to medium or high.
Hate to say this but your images are to small for these old peepers. Windows has a snipping tool in accessories that works a lot better for this than screen shots.
But ya just keep on going the way you are, the FSB is a good idea these CPU's perform better with a higher NB freq.

Back