• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disable cores in FX-8150 for better proformance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ui_Fragger

Should i disable 4 out of the 8 cores for better proformace?
I overclocked my CPU to 4.3 GHZ and with prime95 its stable but in games like borderlands 2 the frames will drop from 50 to 20-25 for a minite or two.
Specs:
600w PSU
HIS radeon 7850 overclocked to 1037 MHZ (Stable)
FX-8150 Overclocked to 4.3 GHZ (Max temp of 62c
Gigabyte 970A-D3 Mobo
12 Gb no name ram

FPS dropping could be numerous factors, how long did you run prime for? Do you know how many core the game uses while you are playing? How are you overclocking, manually or using software? What speed is your Dram running at and are the timings correct?

Gigabyte 970A-D3 Mobo. That is not the most awesome of boards to be overlocking with anyway. You might get just a little more speed from the Cpu if you disable some cores. That might help your frames a little. Maybe.
RGone...

FPS dropping could be numerous factors, how long did you run prime for? Do you know how many core the game uses while you are playing? How are you overclocking, manually or using software? What speed is your Dram running at and are the timings correct?

I'm using the bios to over clock and I ran prime for about 45 mins and my dram I think is 1015 mhz

We buy ram as DDR3-XXXX now and the DDR indicates that there is a tranfer of information on the coming and going or DDR > double data rate. So if you have Dram Mhz of 800 as shown in the image below, then you have DDR1600 ram.

However if you have 1015 shown like that Dram Frequency of 800 is shown below then you are running the ram at DDR-2030. There are differences in terminology that can make a big difference in what we are actually doing.
RGone...

attachment.php

Ui-fragger, please do this to help us help you. Download Cpu-Z and Hwmonitor. Open HWmonitor, run prime 20 minutes. Then post individual pics of Hwmonitor under load and the following tabs in Cpu-Z, cpu,spd and memory.

Here are the things you asked for.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    214.7 KB · Views: 842
  • Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    213.9 KB · Views: 831
  • Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    210.2 KB · Views: 835
Sorry UI can't read that. Windows has a snipping tool in it's accessories works great. Screenshots not so much.
To answer your first question like someone said earlier depends on the game. I disabled 4 cores for Prototype 2 but that was necessary because of a glitch in the game. Then I cranked it up to 5.0

I'm told a moderate OC with a BD chip + disabling one core per module nets a pretty darn decent jump in lightly threaded applications, games, and the sort. Obviously this will gimp any heavily-threaded applications.

This sort of thing, I only have slight experience with, as the Vishera chips are just more fun to work with, but I noted a small gain in some games on an 8150 setup I played around with in-shop for a while when disabling one per module.

Everything's worth a shot right?

any thing that is free is worth a shot, some games can only us two cores so it's worth disabling the others and overclocking the 2.

Would be nice to get bigger pictures in the first place, but I noticed that with all the tiny screenshots we've been seeing here on the forum one way around that is using the zoom option in internet explorer.. most times the quality remains good. Hey, its free...

Back