• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Leap Motion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pvt.Dancer

One of my friends showed this too me and I thought it was pretty cool.

though in the end it may just be a novelty and more software to run on your PC.

Pretty interesting. One of my coworkers just showed this same video+website for a 'new technology' portion in one of our meetings.

Cloud Imperium Games are currently looking at both LEAP Motion and Oculus Rift to have built in support for Star Citizen

Oculus Rift is confirmed.
LEAP Motion - we are waiting to hear back from the devs, but many of us are pretty hopeful :)

Idea being that sat in the cockpit of your starship you can look around and out at space using the Rift flying a HOTAS setup perhaps.

Then LEAP in the middle (or where suits you best/works with ship you are flying) can see your hands on stick and can also allow you to directly interact with your ships holographic HUD you view through the Rift.

- perhaps even being able to pull up and view a holographic keyboard with colour intensity variation as a form of keystroke feedback.

Seems a perfect match to me :D

Still early days, but I'm Really looking forward to see everything as they put it all together.

I am indeed, with a slightly tweaked bigger version of the same avatar. You too by the sound of it.

I am Korai over there, will also be my in game character's handle ;)

Maybe I know you already over there also?

Yeah we've talked on chat and in the Forums there too. lol that's awesome. I don't think I would like have the leap so much for gaming. in long gaming sessions your arms would be killing you! but the Oculus rift. I'm interested in that for Star Citizen and Arma 3 both would be awesome.

I have been hoping you can run multiple LEAPs simultaneously, perhaps one for each side of your cockpit in Star Citizen - is pretty amazing with its 1/100mm accuracy!

- the main failing of leap is its limited 8ft sqr fishtank size sensor pick up area.

But for now there is no competitor to improve on this. Any news on how good Kinetic 2 will be? Kinetic in its current form is fairly useless for Star Citizen due to its complete lack of accuracy in detailed movements.

OR it gives them the opportunity to come out with a more expensive model called the Leap extended which will have a wider lens though it would be cool if they came out with a slightly rounded one that would simulate a 3 monitor setup so you could go accros all screens.

But I haven't heard of anything else either, I have seen some cool USB Cockpit plug ins that look kinda cool. though if you were using VR that would be useless.

Those MFD's are very cool for anyone building/has a sim pit.

Star Citizen has confirmed support for MFDs too by the way ;)

Personally I would rather go the Oculus Rift + LEAP Motion holographic HUD route.
Just sounds so awesome in my mind right now ^_^

One of my friends showed this too me and I thought it was pretty cool.

though in the end it may just be a novelty and more software to run on your PC.

Damn, is the HP only? This would be a cool device but I refuse to buy an HP.

@fcomstoc no no it works with any PC as long as you have a USB port open to it. and apparently it also works better on USB 3.0 over 2 which I thought was pretty cool.

@humanoid that would be cool to go that rout if they can get your in game hands to sync up mix that with a joystick and throttle and it would be like you where there... till you know. you put your hand through your monitor trying to push the buttons in your ship lol. I would be curious to see if they could even do that. it would make my jaw drop.

@fcomstoc no no it works with any PC as long as you have a USB port open to it. and apparently it also works better on USB 3.0 over 2 which I thought was pretty cool.

I just revisited the site, I dont know why I thought it was HP only :bang head:bang head:bang head;

I will have to get one if it is really as good as in the video; at $80 its not a bad price either.

I also hope that it is Mac compatible, especially since all the demo computers on the site are Macs.

@humanoid that would be cool to go that rout if they can get your in game hands to sync up mix that with a joystick and throttle and it would be like you where there... till you know. you put your hand through your monitor trying to push the buttons in your ship lol. I would be curious to see if they could even do that. it would make my jaw drop.

Exactly!

You should be able to synchronise/calibrate LEAP to the physical location of your HOTAS/Joystick then the location of the HUD around the ingame ship HOTAS (now in positional sync with real ones) which is always positionally static in relation to ships HUD and can now track your real hand movements from stick to the ships holographic HUD interface and back.

You would need to move your real HOTAS for each ship type to keep things in the right place to you the pilot ofc.

Should be pretty easy :)

@fcomstoc
A few months back I heard Asus were now bundling a LEAP Motion with all their higher end laptops and desktop PCs.
and possibly as a result of economies of scale the public price of LEAP was possibly going to be only $65

I still want a Dual LEAP setup for Star Citizen ^^

They should with the leap release a pack of arcade games the ones like Area 51 and others that used the light guns and make them work with the leap! that would be fun :D

I'm still trying to decide how much I want to spend on accessories lol I would like to have just a joystick for other games as well hard choice to make when it gets expensive so fast.

Yeah, a young guy starting up a company with so much success like that is amazing.

Now he's going to have a nice Big chunk of cash to reinvest into R&D

Can't wait to see his next gen product lineup.

Back