• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on a dual CPU Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

idkfa

Advice on a dual CPU (or dual GPU) rig

Hey,

as some of you might know due to my previous threads, I would like to build a 2P rig, but Im lacking a bit of knowledge here.
I found two Xeons on ebay (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730594) but it seems those prices are normal.
I can't afford a complete server like from geeks.com since that would cost about 500-600€ in germany and i thread it's a good deal since it is 350$.
Basically my question is, what CPU (doesn't need to be intel) are recommended? What else do I need to regard? If I build a system myself with used parts, what would RAM etc. come in at?
And why do these servers use 2x 750W PSUs when the CPUs have around 100W TDP each?
I would like to get some information what I should buy, my needs are:
+ I would like to see around 100k PPD at folding [sole purpose of that rig]
+ Initial costs around 400€, might go up to 500€
+ Low power draw

I found this one for example. Would that be any good?

edit: Or if you have any other tips, like I need a higher budget for my goals etc., feel free to bring things on :)

Last edited:
I am pretty sure something newer (maybe a FX8120?) would beat that old 2P Core 2 system.

You will not get to 100k PPD with that system. The easiest and cheapest way to 100k would be an old dual 1366 or a dual G34 board.

For folding, those servers are far too old and literally worthless. A 3570k would destroy them.

They have two somewhat large power supplies because they are redundant. Meaning, it is able to run fully on a single unit. 750 watts actually isn't as much overhead as you think. I have a pair of IBM x3650 M1 servers running dual 5430 (quad core, 2.66 GHz) with a low amount of disk, low amount of RAM, and no expansion cards. These servers will pull 400 watts full load each. RDIMM memory takes a lot of power to run, compared to traditional desktop RAM and there are far more slots. It also has to be able to power an internal RAID card, and 1-4 expansion slots, which could be another 120 watts by itself.

My dual socket 8-core Magny Cours (G34) server will do over 100k PPD unless I get a 8101.

The easiest and cheapest way to 100k would be an old dual 1366
What exact CPU did you think of here?

For folding, those servers are far too old and literally worthless. A 3570k would destroy them.
Okay :)
They have two somewhat large power supplies because they are redundant. Meaning, it is able to run fully on a single unit. 750 watts actually isn't as much overhead as you think. I have a pair of IBM x3650 M1 servers running dual 5430 (quad core, 2.66 GHz) with a low amount of disk, low amount of RAM, and no expansion cards. These servers will pull 400 watts full load each.
Thanks for the explanation!

My dual socket 8-core Magny Cours (G34) server will do over 100k PPD unless I get a 8101.
This sounds good, I saw in the 4P thread that you could get used ones around 100$.
If I'd buy new parts Im looking at 250€ for the CPUs, each. And 350 to 450€ for the MoBo.
Thinking of getting used parts, but had no luck on ebay :(

Im not sure if this is worth losing more words on that, but getting a 2P rig for my needs with my budget is near to impossible right? No other way than looking for used parts?
I might post under wanted, if I can get an okay on that power draw at home :)

Any other ideas / input are still welcome :)

My dual Xeons + GTX 670 get 33k... and my Xeons are overclocked... so idk how you expect to get 100k with two older gen ones...

Yeah go with a Quaddy AMD or something

This sounds good, I saw in the 4P thread that you could get used ones around 100$.
If I'd buy new parts Im looking at 250€ for the CPUs, each. And 350 to 450€ for the MoBo.
Thinking of getting used parts, but had no luck on ebay :(
That is why you don't buy parts new. We have classifieds here, as do other forums. That is probably going to be the best place. I paid 613€ for my server, but that had 64 GB of RAM and was new, short of a few hours run time, and this was also in March of 2012.

I'd say that 400-500€ is certainly not out of the question.

We have classifieds here, as do other forums. That is probably going to be the best place. I paid 613€ for my server, but that had 64 GB of RAM and was new, short of a few hours run time, and this was also in March of 2012.
Classifieds is what I meant with 'posting under wanted' :)

That is really good news to hear :)

@ Culbrelai
I don't have real knowledge in multi CPU setups so I didn't really knew what to expect from those CPUs. With my budget AMD seems to be more of an option than intel anyway.

Since Im not sure whether I can lay hands on a complete server. What amount of RAM would do for folding? What size should my PSU have? Im thinking of just the CPUs, RAM and maybe an 2.5" 640GB HDD I got laying around.

You need nearly no space for folding. A Linux install is small, especially if you don't include a UI. PSU depends on what you get.

how well does folding work on cuda cores guys? 650 ti since he's on a budget.
pair it up with a quality platinum rated PSU for a good bang per watt ratio.
what do you folding gents think?

From what I've read a 650ti will get you about 22k ppd, I'm getting 14k ppd on my 650 non ti.

You need nearly no space for folding.
I know, it's just I have the HDD not in use anyway ;)

Is the AMD Opteron 6128 HE the CPU you meant in your first post? I googled that HE indicates lower TDP, does this also mean this is a light version performance-wise? Or should I buy those if I could lay hands on them?

If you want a lower power draw, sure, but I don't think it will be a huge difference. The HE is also only available in lower-clocked versions, so your options are going to be limited. I think they are also quite expensive, if I remember from when I looked at them.

I found some for around 40€ each, used but functional with warranty. That seems pretty cheap, that's why Im asking if the HE edition is some advertising trick. It's 2GHz edition.
What cheap MoBo's could you recommend with the 6128 rig?

Hey, just my 2 cent, if you simply want to fold and you dont really need to build a whole server rig to be used as a server, you could simply build a kind of cheap dual core ( AMD or INtel ) rig and use 1 or 2 GPU for folding. 650ti output good numbers, are efficient and dont cost too much.

@ boulard83

Something like that?

Do you know what PPD 650 Ti's output should have looked 2 posts above :/ and what the power draw would be compared to the dual opteron rig? I would think the power draw would be around the same.
300W under full load I'd assume for the GPU based rig.

Yeah, with a similar rig, you could use it to fold and as a file server at the same time without issue. I alwais prefered to fold on GPU.

how well does folding work on cuda cores guys? 650 ti since he's on a budget.
Do you think nvidia is the best option or could I expect more with 7770's and core17 units?
pair it up with a quality platinum rated PSU for a good bang per watt ratio.
what do you folding gents think?
Does this really make that much of a difference? Platinum is expensive ;)

Yeah, with a similar rig, you could use it to fold and as a file server at the same time without issue.
My roommate doesnt stream that much, and my main rig is running most of the time anyway and I use plex to stream from there.
Somekind of owncloud could be interesting, but Im pretty content with dropbox and gdrive.
What should I change to keep that option? Just a couple of HDDs right?
I alwais prefered to fold on GPU.
Im concerned because GPUs tend to draw more power. Would a 500 PSU be sufficient as I posted it? I think so.
Anything else I should change?

I could do some power draw test on my HTPC for you, i have a 650ti with a 2500k. Dont think the whole thing draw more than ~200w under load. Going with two 650ti could pump ~300-350w while folding. 2 650ti will output very good PPD while being efficient enough IMO.

Back