• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading SSD to newer one. need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atm743

hey guys, ive been out of the SSD game and im all lost at the new controllers, new nand types (toggle and some other one) i need help in looking for a new sata 3 ssd.

Right now i own a Corsair F120 ssd (sandforce 1200 controller) i love it but my father's laptop hard drive took a crap and i thought i would just give him my ssd and ill upgrade to a sata3 drive.

for a while now i've been looking at the intel 520. i was a fan of sandforce drive back when i got my F120. i see that the samsung 840 pro are pretty fast and nice. what do you guys think

I'd say go with a Samsung 840 Pro Series of whatever size you need, i've heard they have spectacular performance. I also know samsung did a crap ton of tests and firmware tweaking before they released them to the public.

I would get OCZ Vector, Vertex 4, Plextor M5 Pro, Samsung 840 Pro or Corsair Neutron GTX ... all depends from price as all of these are about fastest series you can get.
You probably won't see any difference between any of higher series SSD so look more at warranty and price.
If you are comparing SSD results then look mainly at random read and access times. Most other transfers are good mainly on paper and in servers.

I asked the same question not too long ago, got 3 consistent answers: vertex 4 (my choice), Kingston hyperx 3k, Samsung 840 pro.

I would get OCZ Vector, Vertex 4, Plextor M5 Pro, Samsung 840 Pro or Corsair Neutron GTX ... all depends from price as all of these are about fastest series you can get.
You probably won't see any difference between any of higher series SSD so look more at warranty and price.
If you are comparing SSD results then look mainly at random read and access times. Most other transfers are good mainly on paper and in servers.
This! :thup:

Fastest one is the Vector though it seems...which OCZ also stated they busted their hump on their FW... (since they had problems in the past).

Between all those Woomack listed there is hardly a difference outside of performance with the Vector being the victor.

I was reading about the vector last night looks like a nice drive.

So there's nothing wrong with toggle NAND I should know about compared to others?

I saw on. Newegg I could get a intel 330 120 for a 100 bucks and that's perfect price I looking to spend. But the iops on the sandforce drives are much lower than the 840 pro or vector. Would If I did get the intel 330 would I noticed the difference just from using it. I really don't care about benchmark scores just want the drive to be fast with what I do. (Os drive with swtor game on it and that's it).

I am personally very happy with my Crucial M4s and if I had to do it all over again I would, just wish I bought bigger than 64GB.

Any of those Sata III SSD drives will be blistering.

Look primarily for good feedback and fast read and write speeds.

I've had good luck with my Mushkin Chronos 60GB Sata III drive. It's noticeably quicker than my Vertex II 60gb (3gb/s) on the same hardware.

the vector and 840 pro seem really nice but i noticed that the write speeds are slower on the 120-128gb drives?? 400mb/s while the higher drives are 510mb/s ? whys this.

Back