• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trusted PSUs for modular 600w

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MediaMind

Registered
I found out that the video card I am going to use actually requires a 550W PSU, so I had to scrap my good choice of SeaSonic 520W Gold Modular, and the only brands in the same price is:

- Radimax
- Coolmax
- XION
- Diablotek

I am looking at AnTec, OCZ, and others. Starting from 550W

I found out that the video card I am going to use actually requires a 550W PSU, so I had to scrap my good choice of SeaSonic 520W Gold Modular, and the only brands in the same price is:

- Radimax
- Coolmax
- XION
- Diablotek

I am looking at AnTec, OCZ, and others. Starting from 550W
I'm more than certain, without even knowing the gpu, that the seasonic will be fine..
I wouldn't trust any of the brands in your list. Garbage for the most part.

Junk.
Junk.
Probably junk.
Mostly junk.

Your GPU will be fine on a Seasonic M12II.

If you like, we can go through and make a real estimate of the power required. The GPU requirement listed is for the full system and assumes a pretty lousy PSU and a worst case build.
Reality is far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far lower.

- Raidmax
- Coolmax
- XION
- Diablotek

I am looking at Antec, OCZ, and others. Starting from 550W

Junk.
Junk.
Probably junk.
Mostly junk.

Your GPU will be fine on a Seasonic M12II.

If you like, we can go through and make a real estimate of the power required. The GPU requirement listed is for the full system and assumes a pretty lousy PSU and a worst case build.
Reality is far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far lower.

I agree, Raidmax is definitely junk, Coolmax is terrible (I don't even trust their fans (they are a fan company after all AFAIK)), XION makes half-way decent cases, I don't know if I'd trust their power supplies though, and I don't really trust Diablotek. Though I've never had a Diablotek PSU blow up catastrophically or take out any hardware, just based upon the build quality I'm suspicious of them. The first Diablotek I used in an office rig had the power switch on the back break after just flipping it on and off a few times during diagnostics and testing to diagnose a problem, and then the power supply wouldn't turn on because the switch was jammed half-way between on and off although all other hardware in the system was good.

You'll probably be fine with that Seasonic, they do after all make some of the best power supplies money can buy.

How are any of these other brands you mention even remotely in the same price range? They're all low-end, whereas the Seasonic is high-end. Was the Seasonic on sale with a massive price break?

If it doesn't work though I'd recommend a nice Corsair HX650 or HX750 (or you can buy a used HX620 on ebay/craigslist/various forums, that's a good model too).

What video card is it you are wanting to run?

My card is going to be a GIGABYTE 670 4GB, or GTX 680 4GB. Deciding between the two.

Media you will be fine with the seasonic that you originally chose, even with the cpu and gpu overclocked.

I have had an ULTRA X3 1000 W PSU for a long time, 4+ years now. I RMAed it once due to the fan getting loud, they sent me one ASAP, sent the old one back.

It's FULL flat cable FULL modular. They rate pretty good. Take a look.

The 670 being 5% after overclock or stock vs stock? What about a 680 being OC'd

You can OC a 670, too. In general the 670 offers you a better bang for the buck.

azanimefan is right there, speaking of stock clocks the 680 is not that much faster than a 670.
A OCed 670 will beat a ref. 680, but not an OCed 680. Again, the 680 is simply too expensive.

Back