• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD defrag question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atm743

zQzELxs.jpg

as you can see. my ssd is pretty fragmented. if i defrag it once will i kill the drive or one time wont hurt it?

I know you want to do it sooo freakin bad... It looks bad... You have OCD huh? Yeah, same here.. Haha.

Everyone here including myself will say no, don't do it. SSD's don't have (latency) or seek issues as do mechanical drives when it comes to finding a file, so defragging will be pointless on an SSD.. However, I do defrag my SSD every year just to refresh it, and because my OCD takes over, just because green looks better than RED... lol

FYI: I use Auslogic Defrag because its much faster than defraggler

Defragging doesn't hurt the drive, it just burns write cycles unnecessarily. There's no reason to do it and it wears out the drive.

SSD life is based on the number of write cycles it can have before dying. While, technically, defragging an SSD will reduce it's life, it's only when Win 7 is allowed to automatically defrag that it actually is a concern. That is why most people recommend turning off automatic defragging on an SSD. You can manually defrag an SSD and it won't blow up or die way before its time as long as you do not do so more than a few times in its life (mayhap once a year).

However, defragging isn't necessary on a SSD since there isn't a mechanical head seeking out sectors. Defragging a SSD will not increase speed so there really is no point in defragging. If the fragmentaion bothers you, don't look at the drive with Defraggler. Save it for your spinners.

if i were you, this is what i would do,

DONT DEFRAG THE SSD FOR THE SAKE OF READ AND WRITE SPEEDS. AND IF YOU FEEL YOU CANT HANDLE IT THEN USE INTEL SRT. IF YOU EVER DEFRAG INTEL SRT IT WILL NOT BE HARMED.

that is all.

This is a thread about SSDs, not HDDs though....you can search for that answer (as it has been asked quite a bit).

DO NOT DEFRAG SSDs!!!! Let TRIM do its thing!

More to the point, it's impossible to really defrag a SSD due to the wear leveling it uses.

Back