• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A10-5800K high temperatures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freddy120

Hello. I'm having some troubles with my CPU. I've recently put together my first gaming computer and it's come to my attention that my CPU (AMD A10-5800K) is going way over the normal temperatures. It idles at 50C and when I turned on BF3 on max settings it went even to 105C! My computer specifications are the following:

CPU- AMD A10-5800K (stock cooler)
RAM- 8GB G.SKILL Ares series 2133MHz DDR3
Motherboard- ASRock FM2A55M-DGS
GPU- AMD 7950XFX 3GB GDDR5
HDD- 500GB WD
Tower- CM haf xm

This computer is nearly a month old now and I thought maybe I'd wait a bit for the thermal paste to settle in but that didn't happen. I've tried various CPU temp measuring programs and CoreTemp showed me the temps go as low as 0C which is really questionable, I then tested it in Speccy and it showed me basically the same that CPUID HW Monitor showed me (105C at max load and rising and 50C at idle). But the program ASrock Xtreme Tuner shows me that the CPU temp is 35C. I also tried putting my hand close to the CPU and I noticed a temperature change when idle and under full load, there is a temp increase but It doesn't feel as it is 105C :). I'd appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this issue of mine.

Fred,

What temp are you referring to and how and where are you measuring it from? There are two important temps to track: core (or "package") and CPU socket temp. To which one do you refer? If you are referring to core/package temp there have been many reports that software is reporting unrealistically high temps. I recently built a system for a friend using an A8 and found that to be true so I just ignored the core temp and watched socket temps.

Yea, I have been going through the same deal with my A10 5800K. The temp your seeing that is reading 105C is the package temp, it is incorrect as for some reason either the chip reports the wrong temp or no program reads it correctly currently. The temp that you need to watch for is your CPU Socket temp. The three temps that should be reported will be the package temp (normally the very high one that is also erradic and will go down to like 0) the middle temp you will see is going to be the Socket temp, this is the one you want to watch, I have tried to keep mine below 60c, and then the final temp you will see is your South Bridge temp.

Fred,

What temp are you referring to and how and where are you measuring it from? There are two important temps to track: core (or "package") and CPU socket temp. To which one do you refer? If you are referring to core/package temp there have been many reports that software is reporting unrealistically high temps. I recently built a system for a friend using an A8 and found that to be true so I just ignored the core temp and watched socket temps.

I am referring to the Package temperature I read from CPUID HW Monitor. I only have the package temperature reading in that program. I'll try to watch the socket temps.

EDIT: which program should I use for this? I tried Speedfan and it gives me a 0C temp reading.

EDIT: I used Argus Monitor for AMD products and it's telling me the information is not valid. It does show however that socket temp is 29C

Last edited:
that looks like the stock cpu cooler.

doesn't hurt to get an actual cpu cooler... the hyper evo 212 is a great price/performance cooler.

In HWMonitor, the CPU socket temperature may be labeled "CPUTIN" or it may be labeled generically as one of the "TMPINx" lines depending on the motherboard. If the latter, then you kind of have to guess at which one it is except on Gigabyte boards where TMPIN2 is usually the socket temp. Perhaps you could capture an image of HWMonitor taken immediately after a stress test and attach it with a post and we could help you sort it out.

In HWMonitor, the CPU socket temperature may be labeled "CPUTIN" or it may be labeled generically as one of the "TMPINx" lines depending on the motherboard. If the latter, then you kind of have to guess at which one it is except on Gigabyte boards where TMPIN2 is usually the socket temp. Perhaps you could capture an image of HWMonitor taken immediately after a stress test and attach it with a post and we could help you sort it out.

Yes, after looking in HWMonitor under CPUTIN it does indeed match the temperature Argus Monitor showed me. And yes I should most definitely get an aftermarket cooler. Thanks for your help guys, I can finally game in peace without having the worry of my CPU and motherboard melting under 105C :popcorn:

Back