• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Stability Question on New X79 Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CaddyGuy420

I just built a x79 build (my first full build) and was planning on getting everything installed on stock settings and then working on OCing but for the life of me I couldn't get it to run stable on stock settings. I tried switching using 1 ram dimm at a time, tried different ram, stock ram settings, XMP ram settings, tried my old XFX 5770, didn't have another compatible power supply to try, fresh install of windows, removed my ASUS 802.11 Wireless card. Was pulling my hair out:bang head. Then I tried the OC Genie button (MSI Big Bang Xpower II) and it has been stable at 4GHz since.

I was just wondering if this is normal for a 3930k, just doesn't make much sense that it won't run stable at stock settings (at least to me).

System Specs
-----------------
Intel Core I7 3930k
MSI Big Bang Xpower II
32Gb G-Skill Ripjaws Z 1866 RAM
Corsair H100i watercooler
Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 GHz 6Gb GDDR5
Corsair AX1200i Powersupply
Pioneer 15X Bluray Burner
Lite-On Bluray Burner
Don't remember what brand DVD Burer
2 Corsair SP120 Fans
ASUS PCE-N13 Wireless Card.
3 LG EB2442 24" Monitors (only been using 1 so far untill everything is set up)
2Tb WD Black

Hmm. Probably some of the voltages at stock were a bit low for your CPU or ram, dunno. You can go back to stock and post pics of all the CPU-Z tabs and all the CPU-Z tabs after using the preset OC settings. Which usually are too much voltage for the overclock. That can cause temp problems later if you push it.

You didn't mention your P95 blend tests and your resultant temps using Realtemp. Nice to see those too.

Havn't had any time to run other tests yet as it would have randomly reboot at stock settings. CPU-Z Below, another odd thing is it only shows 4Gb of video ram, going to have to do some searching about that.

Attachments

• CPUZbeforeOC.jpg
    CPUZbeforeOC.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 41
  • CPUZAfterOC.jpg
    CPUZAfterOC.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 45
Ya I don't think cpu-z can see more than 4 shows up as 6 in CCC. As for MSI its the first board I bought, had to choose between asrock extreme 11 or this one for the number of sata ports I wanted.

It's running around 36C to 42C right now just doing light tasks (internet, updates, drivers)

Thanks for your input, I used the OC Genie settings as a starting point and lowered the voltage to 1.3 and got it set at 4.4GHz (100 x 44), the highest temp in real temp is 67 degrees C on the first core. No errors in P95. 4.5GHz caused blue screen after about 5 hours. Could probably up the voltage and go higher but I'm not going for anything extreme now.

Again Thanks.

Back