• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Build Log] The Ive changed my mind 40 times build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThorV2

Well first let me introduce myself my name is John and this will be my first ever build log and watercooling loop. So as the title states this is the Ive changed my mind 40 times build from amd to intel from nvidia to amd and back and forth. Well since I won a 3770K from Micro Center and the Intel Tech Zone VIP app Im moving forward with a Z77 Build! So without further delay here is the log:

Main Components:

1. Core i7 3770K (Already Recieved)
  2. Asus Maximus V Extreme
  3. 8GB Gskill Trident X @ 2400MHz
  4. Corsair AX1200
  5. 4 Way CrossfireX Sapphire Radeon 7950 4L (AMD my new favorite company)
  6. 64GB ADATA mSATA SSD for Boot Drive
  7. 128GB ADATA SATA as a drive for the three games that I play most and other random applications
  8. 1TB WD Blue HDD as Back Up
  9. Some sort of sound card cant decide on that

three Asus 144hz 24" monitors
  10. NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal Grey

Watercooling Gear:
  1. XSPC Raystorm CPU Block
  2. Alphacool UT60 360MM
  3. Alphacool 240MM UT60
  4. Alphacool 120MM ST30
  5. Swiftech MCRes
  6. PrimoFlex Tubing
  7. Monsoon Fittings
  8. LOTS OF Gelid Wings it push pull configuration
  9. Mayhems Extreme Biocide
  10. Lots of Distilled Water
I hope you guys like my build and Sub :bang head

Last edited:
Ok I'm just going to throw this out there if you want to save some money, again the build looks really nice:
Asus Maximus V Extreme, great board but if you're not benching and planning on using LN2 or Dry Ice is really overkill.
Corsair AX1200, you could easily do a 850w psu.

Suggestions: Seasonic X850 Gold and
Motherboard

Hi there bud. Welcome aboard!
As for the build yeah, unless you do decide on going with ln2 eventually, you can get away with less. (what happened to the G1 Sniper 3?)
I'd still go with the Z77X-UD4H which has T-topology and lets you overclock ram better than previous GB z77 boards.
Also, where's that silver kill coil?

EDIT: I'd skip the Fatality board personally...not so good vrm, off in voltage readings. Since he might start benching on air/water first I'd stick to a better board for that purpose, and the UD4H is pretty cheep.

EDIT: I'd skip the Fatality board personally...not so good vrm, off in voltage readings. Since he might start benching on air/water first I'd stick to a better board for that purpose, and the UD4H is pretty cheep.
I agree if benching.

Yeah Ill be benching eventually maybe in like a month... Just want to get my feet wet on Overclocking on air and water first.... Ill look into another board Ivan... You know me... I watched an Unboxing of it and it was just so nice.. The only problem I would have is Asus Customer service. Yes siiiiirrrrrr.......

As for the AX1200 it may be overkill but why not? Ill eventually go over to the Enthusiast platform and just want to have to buy a MOBO and CPU rather than everything even though 1200w will still be overkill Ill eventually start doing three way and four way benching also....

As for the AX1200 it may be overkill but why not? Ill eventually go over to the Enthusiast platform and just want to have to buy a MOBO and CPU rather than everything even though 1200w will still be overkill Ill eventually start doing three way and four way benching also....
There is no real reason not to but the AX1200. If your benching it's probably a good idea as well as the first mobo you chose. I made the suggestions for normal 24/7 usage.

There is no real reason not to but the AX1200. If your benching it's probably a good idea as well as the first mobo you chose. I made the suggestions for normal 24/7 usage.
It's fine I'm coming from OCN and your response was a lot better than some I got on there. People would say YOU'LL NEVER NEED 1200w... Well what if I have 4 580s? Those are power hungry! People here are much nicer!

It's fine I'm coming from OCN and your response was a lot better than some I got on there. People would say YOU'LL NEVER NEED 1200w... Well what if I have 4 580s? Those are power hungry! People here are much nicer!
:welcome: :popcorn::soda:

Changed your mind 40 times? I almost talked myself out of upgrading 40 times. Ask Ajay. Finally ordered my new parts yesterday. Welcome to OCF!

Changed your mind 40 times? I almost talked myself out of upgrading 40 times. Ask Ajay. Finally ordered my new parts yesterday. Welcome to OCF!

Yeah I actually need to update the log I've decided to go trifire 7970s or a three monitor 144hz monitor setup..

So in the WC thread I noticed you have a different setup again....lol. How much have you ordered already?

So in the WC thread I noticed you have a different setup again....lol. How much have you ordered already?

Got the 3770K on Saturday and ordered my Disc drive. I will be ordering the rest if the parts either next Friday or the Friday after that...

Back