• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a little help (new motherboard, memory problem)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SavageBrat

Registered
Hello All..
I picked up a 990FXA-UD3 (rev.3) to go with my 6300, got it together but I have a question.. as I was coming from a, gigabyte 880 gm-usb3 mb with a 1045t I didn't do a fresh install of my windows 7 ult. 64 bit as my system booted right up after I correct my drive set up through the uefi bios.. I installed the drivers from the disk than updated them the gigabytes website.. should I have done a fresh install? as the only issue I seemed to be having is getting my ram to set at 1600.. tia..

I have the same board but don't have the efi bios, and have a similar issue but I am running 4 sticks of memory. The problem I have though is running 1866, I'm stuck at 1600. But to answer one of your questions, Re-installing Windows would have been recommended but not really required when you are sticking with same chip set manufacturer. The OS isn't going to affect the speed you can select for your ram, so something that may be happening is your timings may not be getting set correctly when yous set 1600. Try going in and manually setting your timings for your ram and the speed. May also make sure your voltage for your ram is set correctly as well.

Had the same issue with a Gigabyte board...Found that it didn't like the 1.65 volts but was happy to run at 1.5 volts with the correct 1600MHz and timings.

Run the latest CPUz (free) and look at the SPD tab and you should find the timings there for the various speeds of the ram and recommended voltage for the ram.
RGone...

ok here what I found and on the memory 9,9,9 @1.65 v..but i must be missing something..

Attachments

• KHX1600C9D3B1_4G.pdf
    186.5 KB · Views: 26
I've got to be missing one of the setting somewhere..grr and ty for the help..here's mine at the present.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    28.3 KB · Views: 71
I have the same sticks and I am also running those timings although they aren't "correct"
its supposed to be 9 9 9 27 36 @1600. also im not running an fx im on a phenom 2

Attachments

• cpuz.PNG
    cpuz.PNG
    26.8 KB · Views: 61
  • cpuz2.PNG
    cpuz2.PNG
    30.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I may have them slotted wrong..if i go by what the mb manual says then gpu-z says they're in single channel, if i slot them in a different manner than gpu-z says they're in dual mode..currently in slot 1& 2..

Guys ty for the assist after playing with the UEFI Bios for awhile got it semi fixed..

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    28.6 KB · Views: 46
Back