• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing server PSU proactively ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kirby7777

Registered
We have a server which has been running nearly 24/7 for 5 years now in an airconditioned server room (23-24C). It is connected to an UPS.

All the RAID system HDDs have been changed once about 1.5y ago because a couple of them had failed (not at the same time). Currently it has two WD 500Gb HDDs in RAID 1 and a hot swap. The only periphery is a DVD writer and a floppy disc drive.

It has an Antec 380W or 430W Earthwatts from memory for its PSU.

Some queries here:

When should a PSU be replaced if there is no fault?

Should I have the PSU replaced proactively before it fails?

If so which new PSU would you recommend?

Thanks.

p/s

I have spoken to the tech about replacing this server and he advised to keep it for a bit longer.

One of our very seldom used workstation actually have an identical hardware as the server except for a lower spec CPU and RAMs and HDD. Just in case there is a hardware failure the workstation could be used as spare parts for the server.

Is this a production business server or a home server?

If its production, I would consider planning a migration to a redundant PSU setup so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

If you can tolerate the server being down while you swap the power supply, then having a spare is probably all you need. If the server absolutely can not be down for any length of time, you need to get a system with redundant parts.

I wouldn't replace the power supply unless it was showing signs of failure, but I would have a spare handy sitting right next to it.

I would just get a PSU and set it to the side for now. When that PSU fails, you have a replacement and can be back up in less then 30min.
I try to stay with corsair/Seasonic PSU now.

Thank you to all.
Yes it is for business use.
I think until we have a new server in about 2 years time, I shall just keep a spare PSU handy in the server room.

Alternatively I might just go ahead and change the PSU knowing that a new PSU is more likely to last another two years than the old PSU.

One query: from a quick glance and without doing too much testing and pulling things apart, how do I know if the server does not turn on or suddenly stop is caused by a failed PSU?

Thanks.

Alternatively I might just go ahead and change the PSU knowing that a new PSU is more likely to last another two years than the old PSU.
The problem with that logic is you are assuming that the new unit will work as good. What if it is faulty or will fail in a week? I would just leave the server alone with a spare on the shelf. Make sure to test that power supply to know it works, so that if/when the server's power supply does go out, you know your backup works. I would only replace an existing power supply if it was showing signs of failure.

One query: from a quick glance and without doing too much testing and pulling things apart, how do I know if the server does not turn on or suddenly stop is caused by a failed PSU?
Are you asking how to tell if the PSU is the issue or to detect when the server is offline?

Are you asking how to tell if the PSU is the issue or to detect when the server is offline?

How to tell if PSU is the issue and not something else like MOBO or CPU. Is there a quick and easy way?

Unhook all the cables to the devices, and jump the green pin to any black pin on the 20/24 pin connector. People commonly use a paperclip, but anything conductive will work. This is the "on" switch for the power supply. If there is a fan on the power supply, it should turn on. If there isn't or it has a delayed startup, hook something small up to a connector (a fan if you have one, failing that, a disk you don't care about). If nothing happens when you jumper the connection, the power supply is dead. If it does turn on, you'd need to check the voltages it is putting out to make sure they are in spec (+- 5%).

Back