• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good AM3+ motherboard under $100?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yoloswagger

Im looking for a good AM#+ motherboard under $100. Already got a case, ram, hdd, cpu. Here is what i have
Cooler Master Storm Scout
1TB WD Green 7200RPM HDD
4GB DDR3 Desktop ram
Phenonom ii X6 ( motherboard needs to support FX series too so compatible with future upgrades)

Thanks for your help:thup:
PS im only 12 so i know the build is budget but cant afford any better

Well, it's pretty much all the same thing in that price range (if you want to buy new): You'll get an AMD 970 chipset.

Some have interesting options over others... I would recommend a good power section (with heatsink if possible) because that X6 is gonna draw a lot of power. MSI 970A-G46 is cheap at Newegg right now or ASRock 970 Extreme3. Those would be my choices in that price range.

Good luck!

Well, it's pretty much all the same thing in that price range (if you want to buy new): You'll get an AMD 970 chipset.

Some have interesting options over others... I would recommend a good power section (with heatsink if possible) because that X6 is gonna draw a lot of power. MSI 970A-G46 is cheap at Newegg right now or ASRock 970 Extreme3. Those would be my choices in that price range.

Good luck!
They may be well and good for the X6 but if you're doing an FX 6 or 8 series upgrade in the future and "planning on Ocing" then I wouldn't suggest those.

They may be well and good for the X6 but if you're doing an FX 6 or 8 series upgrade in the future and "planning on Ocing" then I wouldn't suggest those.

Yep! But working within the parameters here: There's not many "recommendable" boards under 100$ and, as far as I know, all available at that price point will be 4+1 phases.

There are not any $100 boards that are 'real' good for future 6 or 8 core BD/PD cpu upgrades. The 970-UD3 seems able to handle the current draw thru the VRMs but is one pain in the booty to push an 8 core beyond 4.4Ghz.

We have had a number of skilled overclockers say that it takes maybe 50 trial and error tries to really overclock that UD3 and their better boards are done in 5 or 6 attempts. That is a lot of tick me off testing when there are better boards.
RGone...

What do you think?

You will be looking at a minimum of ~$150 but I would suggest something like the Sabretooth R 2.0 It's around $180. That's if you were planning on upgrading to a 6 or 8 series FX!

I would seriously listen to what RGone, Johan and Mandrake say OP and get yourself a good quality high grade motherboard!! The extra money invested now will save you a lot of pain and disappointment latter on. Let me clarify that statement, i have seen members with cheap AMD Boards trying to Overclock them and after 130 posts later give up and end up with nothing more than a paper weight!! Wishing they had bought a quality motherboard in the beginning and saved them the time and extra money of buying again. AJ. ;) :thup:

1, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7404903&postcount=5

The above post would be a good basic guide for AMD series 6*** or 8*** CPU's! :shrug:

I would save up just a bit more and go with
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157358

Will handle an 8 core for sure.

I think Asrock got tired of paying fee to ole john and came with the EXT9 to replace the Fatal1ty 990FX that is a very good board. I did a mini-test thread of the Fatal1ty in the AMD mobo section. But I will not be buying another AMD board right now since I have the Fatal1ty and a CHV and no sense in buying just to see how something else does.
RGone...

I think Asrock got tired of paying fee to ole john and came with the EXT9 to replace the Fatal1ty 990FX that is a very good board. I did a mini-test thread of the Fatal1ty in the AMD mobo section. But I will not be buying another AMD board right now since I have the Fatal1ty and a CHV and no sense in buying just to see how something else does.
RGone...

Oh come on! I see the sense in it! You can buy it, test it, and then sell it to me at a 10% discount. :D

I'm going to recommend the UD3, as I actually own one with an x6 that is overclocked quite nicely. It has an 8+2 powerphase, solid VRMs, and has been a fantastic board for the past year and a half.

I went back to read the original post. OP does not mention anything about overclocking. Not a peep. He does say the new AM3+ board should support FX processor but not a word about overclocking. THEN he writes the killer information. He is 12 years old and has a limited budget.

So he has asked a very general question and most of us having a pretty clear idea of what suupports and what actually overclocks an FX processor good, have answered more in line with the upgrade portion. Upgrade to a pretty darn good FX processor board is just not doable at $100. Well not what we would want to use for pushing a 6 or 8 core FX processor.

So he could get a $100 board that will run his current cpu and run as designed an AMD FX processor with some overclocking or he can do the mobo buy one time and get off of about $150 and be done with mobo buying.

Most of us who reaistically suggest boards in the $150 range do so because we have been there and done that with FX procssors. If he stayed at Thuban 6 core or less, well then the suggestions would be different for sure.
RGone...

I went back to read the original post. OP does not mention anything about overclocking. Not a peep. He does say the new AM3+ board should support FX processor but not a word about overclocking. THEN he writes the killer information. He is 12 years old and has a limited budget.

So he has asked a very general question and most of us having a pretty clear idea of what supports and what actually overclocks an FX processor good, have answered more in line with the upgrade portion. Upgrade to a pretty darn good FX processor board is just not doable at $100. Well not what we would want to use for pushing a 6 or 8 core FX processor.

So he could get a $100 board that will run his current cpu and run as designed an AMD FX processor with some overclocking or he can do the mobo buy one time and get off of about $150 and be done with mobo buying.

Most of us who reaistically suggest boards in the $150 range do so because we have been there and done that with FX procssors. If he stayed at Thuban 6 core or less, well then the suggestions would be different for sure.
RGone...

Agreed, but i personally think overclocking is inevitable, especially when you lurk these forums long enough. But the one thing nobody asked was what he wanted to do with this build in the first place, he just simply stated it's a budget build.

Back