• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI-E 3.0 gpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dcard1869

Registered
Hi all. I was looking at mobo's for next upgrade. Is Intel the only one who supports PCI-E 3.0 on their mobo's?

Currently, yes, I believe so.
Don't worry about that end of things though, the performance drop from PCIe3 to PCIe2 with a current top end card is a percent or two.

+1 bob

You dont "need" PCIe 3.0, even if you run multiple GTX690/Titan/7970/680. PCIe 2.0 x16 is still able to feed those GPU. PCIe 3.0 could really benefit to incoming newer GPU ( not next gen but maybe in 2 or 3 gen down the road, this mean at least 2 years ). If you run triple or quad GPU, then maybe, PCIe 3.0 could help if your 3rd or 4th GPU fall into a x4 slot. An x4 3.0 perform as a x8 2.0.

Thanks. I appreciate your input. Im on the fence whether i want intel or amd for next build. Intel has pci-e 3.0 mobos. But I dont see any significant reviews that support pci-e 3.0 as any better in performance in the mobo itself, just the gpu cards.

Back