• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED MSI BIOS issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xantom

I have a HTPC build I did last Fall, we'll call it HTPC1.

B]MOBO: MSI H77MA-G43[/B]

I was doing another HTPC build , we'll call it HTPC2. I was having issues with the SSD I purchased for HTPC2. I took that SSD and hooked it up the MSI board to bench it on HTPC1. I knew this MOBO and SSD were performing at SATA III speeds.

When I booted the computer, it loaded the OS of the HTPC2 SSD. I didn't think much of it. I ran ATTO speed tests and confirmed the drive was bad. So I hooked everything back up on HTPC1, booted it up and it booted to the UEFI shell command window. I then rebooted and went into the MSI BIOS. The GUI for the BIOS is messed up, it doesn't fit on the screen and when you click on different menu items, parts of the main menu are coming through the menu that should have focus. It is clearly not functioning correctly.

Sorry this image is not the best.

I set the boot order to the SSD and then reboot, I get the windows 7 black screen with the 4 colors swirling then the screen goes black. I can get into safe mode however. But the BIOS really concerns me.

I understand that I most likely will need to reflash the BIOS. I have BIOS Version 1.7.

2013-04-28142404_zps2c85ad27.jpg

Following MSI instructions I downloaded BIOS Version 1.B, and have it on a flash drive. When I am in the BIOS and I hit the delete key to bring up the option to flash it, I get nothing. And I cannot find the BIOS flash options through any of the menu items available. Before I attempted the command line flash I wanted to get some opinions on what the issue may be. I really do not want to have to reinstall my OS if at all possible. I have this thing running perfectly! Any pointers or opinions are appreciated!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update EarthDog, I was not aware of that ability. It seemed to me that at some point we were not able to directly upload pictures and had to use an external site. That must have changed and I wasn't aware. This will save time, thanks!

Last edited:
It would'nt suprise me. I've had nothing but horrible expieriences with MSI, especially with the bios.

There should be an option to get to utility> MFlash to update the bios via USB.

http://us.msi.com/service/biosupdate/

"4. Press “delete” key to BIOS, select “Utility” and select “M-Flash”"

However I get no response when I press the delete key.

I do not understand their instructions under:
"Flash AMI UEFI BIOS by USB Disk Under DOS Mode"
4. Boot your system from a USB storage device

Do they include bootable software with the BIOS download, what I am using to boot from? Sorry if this is obvious, what am I missing? Thanks

Repeataedly press delete from the moment you restart the PC...

You put the bios on a bootable USB stick. You can get a USB stick bootable like this: http://www.howtogeek.com/127377/the...eating-a-bootable-windows-or-linux-usb-drive/

...then drop the bios file on to the disk and follow the instructions

LOL Neb... :p

You are correct, I misread the instructions. I thought they meant hit the delete key to get to MFlash utility after you were already in the BIOS. Just remember my BIOS is screwed up and I can't get to the MFlash option. I don't have utilities as an option anywhere that I can see.

What about doing live update in safe mode, would that be an option?

Your best bet is to check your manual to see if you can update your bios in windows is my take on this. Pages 2-19 to be specific.

Your best bet is to check your manual to see if you can update your bios in windows is my take on this. Pages 2-19 to be specific.

I concur. Odd how the OP cannot get the utility to come up :confused:

How about removing the cmos battery for a few minutes to clear the bios? This will help you when it boots back up the first time and you have to get into the bios to reset your settings.

@ E_D ;)

So did you get this resolved?

Sorry Nebulous, I just have gotten back to this, this morning.

I was able to reflash the BIOS but it did not resolve my issue. I still have the messed up looking BIOS. It's like my monitor resolution is at 800 x 600 but the bios is trying to display at a higher resolution and I am only able to see a portion of the screen. On top of that I cannot move my mouse outside of my screen to access other BIOS functions.

I assume part of the issue is that I shut off onboard video and am now trying to display from my GPU. I would have thought after reflashing it would have been reactivated but I guess not. I cannot get any video from the MOBO video ports. I am still working on this and will probably try to call MSI today. I assume that this all was caused when it booted from my other SSD and tried to load the ATI drivers for that MOBO or something along those lines.

Any more ideas are appreciated.

Last edited:
Have you tried adjusting the monitor? There is a 'fill' type adjustment when the image is 'shifted' like that. Play around with the monitor.

You should enable the onboard GPU in the bios if you can see the option, LOL!

Have you tried adjusting the monitor? There is a 'fill' type adjustment when the image is 'shifted' like that. Play around with the monitor.

You should enable the onboard GPU in the bios if you can see the option, LOL!

I tried to connect back to my 55" that this was initially setup on, my gaming computers 30", messed with the settings on both of those and nothing. I finally broke down and have the manual out now:)

Yeah on most PC monitors there is a function to adjust or 'auto-fit' the image on the screen. I would look there personally.

Yeah on most PC monitors there is a function to adjust or 'auto-fit' the image on the screen. I would look there personally.

Yep, went through all adjustments on 2 monitors and my TV and cannot get it to display any better:/

OMG, I am not sure how I missed this , "Initiate Graphic Adapter", Set to "IGD", and now it's displaying correctly. I must have not saved settings, I know I tried that before!

Attachments

• 2013-05-02 09.42.21.jpg
    2013-05-02 09.42.21.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 232
Ok so now I was able to get to the desktop using onbaord video. I updated the Nvidia drivers for my card, rebooted, went into the bios and set the graphics adapter to PCIE. I rebooted and still only get the windows loading splash and then the monitor goes black.

Any Ideas?

Try switching PCIe slots...but since you are getting a signal (you see the windows splash screen), I doubt that is it actually. Are you sure its loading the OS? Do you hear the windows music upon logon through your speakers?

Try switching PCIe slots...but since you are getting a signal (you see the windows splash screen), I doubt that is it actually. Are you sure its loading the OS? Do you hear the windows music upon logon through your speakers?

I can't switch slots the other PCIE slot is at the very botton and my card will not fit. I have very limited space in that HTPC case. I can take the card out and try it in my shop PC though. I guess let's see if I can take that one down too:)

OS is loading, and yes I do get the windows OS booted sound, but with no video. I can get into safe mode and boot to the OS through the video card.

I have tried to remove and reinstall Nvidia video drivers with no luck. If the GPU is bad that might explain the poor video in the bios as well. Just my luck it would go out right at the same time I benched that other drive.

I will post back once I wreck my other system:bang head

It really sounds like its 'stuck' on your "TV" and overscan or something is set and cant let go of it once it hits "3D".

Back