• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

broken amd motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eloy Evers

hello

need some help
I was stupid enough to put ram in the ram slot while the computer was on
there came smoke out of my computer so I directly turned of my power supply
after a few minutes I turned back on my system I was very slow after a few rounds of gaming I realized I only had 2 gb of ram installed because windows showed that to me I checked my hardware and there was 8 gb in my case 2x2 and 1x4 but windows just kept saying only 2 gb so I did som tests all the ram is stll working but 3 of the 4 ram slots prove to be broken I think this is because I broke something wenn I pushed the ram in wenn the pc was on so now my question am I able to fix this or is a computer shop able to fix this cuz they ask 45$ to research costs its very much to pay if they cant fix that so...it might be better if I just buy a new motherboard I have a asus m4a87td evo 2x2 ram and 1x4 ram a coolermaster gladiator case and a amd phenom II 965 and a ati readon HD5770

if I cant fix this motherboard I want to buy a new one any suggestions it needs to be around 100$ because the motherboard I have now is 104$ let me no plz
(sorry for my bad English)

Eloy Evers

Man I would hate to be the bearer of bad news but if smoke came out of it and now you are encountering errors, odds are its bad. Its time for a replacement, unless it has a warranty.

That boards memory dimms are finished, TBH I'm amazed it only busted the ram dimms and the ram survived as well as the board and CPU, you are a lucky man to still be able to use them, but yeah that boards days are over :facepalm:

i have done this lol while cold benching / pretty intoxicated i put a ddr3 stick in backwards and forced it in, in turn creating nice ram smoke, only thing wrong? that dimm doesnt work the rest do lol.

i have done this lol while cold benching / pretty intoxicated i put a ddr3 stick in backwards and forced it in, in turn creating nice ram smoke, only thing wrong? that dimm doesnt work the rest do lol.
Now that is an interesting mixture Wagex were you keeping the beer cold with the LN2/Dice also?

tried that... it just foams uncontrollably even if you just sit the bottle in the ice chest with the dice lol

Back