• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II x6 1055t Droppped by a store Clerk!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seattle72

Hi to everyone...this is my first post and here goes (well sorry for such a long read but my situation really sucks and I need all the help I can get so plz dont let the length discourage you from reading on, PLZ)...Well two things really, a few days ago I went into a computer shop here in Washington state to buy a new mb, ram, and psu for a cpu my friend had sold me. The cpu is a Phenom II x6 1055t. While I was in the shop one of the store clerks "accidentally" pushed my CPU off the counter! The CPU was in it's protective case so I let it go. Then, not two mins later, as the clerk was bagging my merchandise he some how dropped the CPU AGAIN. This time when the CPU fell it came out of the protective case and landed pin side down. A few pins got bent which he bent back and told me it should be fine. Now I am not the most knowledgeable about CPUs but do understand they have no moving parts. I told him he broke it and he disagreed. His tech then put the CPU in a motherboard and showed that it was showing in BIOS and said that that ment it worked fine. Now I still disagreed and told him he needed to give me a new cpu, I didnt want to take the chance that it didnt work once I got home, or a cpu of the same. I was not trying to take advantage just wanted a cpu of the same quality and he offered me his tech's Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition and said it was better than the x6, again I disagreed with him. He told me take it or leave it, but I would have had to leave my x6 with him if I did take the x4 and my friend who sold it to me said keep the x6 its better. Now the x6 does load into windows but I get BSOD randomly if I change even the smallest of settings. The second thing is I wanted to overclock it since I first got it in my hands but now when I go to do it even a slight change in FSB, the multiplier is not unlocked, it gets unstable. I have a Freezer Pro 64 cpu cooler, Asus M5A97 Le R2.0, Corsair vengeance 1600 4gb stick, running on Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Could these problems be the result of him dropping it. And if you guys can please give me some feedback on what I should do about this situation I would greatly Greatly appreciate it!! Thanks in advance, this situation has gotten me so stressed out.

Could these problems be the result of him dropping it = Super highly unlikely dropping it has anything to do with your poor overclock. Cpu voltage applied could be low. Overclocking the FSB could have the ram out of working range. Too many variable to name them all, but again sounds like a drop has zero to do with your current issues. One reason I keep my plastic cpu containers taped shut and in my hands and not exposed to klutz's.
RGone...

Okay I have left out some info...even before any overclocking was applied the cpu still seems to be unstable..In CPU-z t will show the FSB jump to 400, 500, 700, even 800...resulting in it showing like 11800mhz for atleast five of the six cores. Core#0 always is doing its own thing, acting with a different multiplier, even though I thought this cpu multiplier was locked...But even core#0 will report outrageous speeds but it is always different than the other five...Wat could all this be related too, I know there is no way these speeds are real but obviously something is wrong...Again this is with absolutely NO change in settings, to fsb, voltage, or anything....Also I know more about OC'ing than the average person so when I do overclock I know that the fsb changes more than just the core clock. I know memory and HT change as well, I assure you any problems are not from My Personal overclocking skills...I will admit I am not an expert but I do not do extreme clocking anyway and have OC'ed cpus in the past by upto 1ghz with no issues...

Last edited:
What is the make and wattage of your PSU?

Have you checked core and CPU socket temps yet at stock frequencies and voltages? Even though you have an aftermarket cooler, if it is not seated correctly or if the TIM is not applied correctly you could be experiencing temp-related instability.

Have you tried starting your ram at 1333 mhz instead of 1600 mhz in order to leave room for the FSB increase?

Also, please attache some picks of HWMonitor and CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Motherboard", "Memory" and "SPD". Do you know how to attach pics with the built-in forum tool?
To attach a pic with a post, first crop and save the pic to disc if it includes surrounding irrelevant desktop territory. In other words, we don’t want to see your whole desktop. That just shrinks down the important stuff we need to see so that it may not be legible. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/up-link tool and the rest will be obvious. You can attach up to three pics per post but you can go back later and add more if necessary.

The other thing I would certainly do is remove the CPU and carefully inspect the underside for bent or broken pin, especially in view of the history here. A CPU should drop easily into the socket if the pins are straight. If they are not straight and you applied pressure to get it to seat there is a chance you have bent or broken a pin.

Concerning your wild fluctuation in CPU core frequency, make sure you have Turbo Boost, Cool N Quiet, and C1E disabled. Also make sure you don't have ACC enab led or whatever the bios calls the core unlocking tool.

Last edited:
By the way, the store clerk may have been spot on in saying the PII X4 965 is a better CPU. It will overclock higher than your Thuban X6 955 and run cooler. And unless you do a lot of audio/video rendering or some other specialized tasks you will not get much benefit out of the extra two cores. Most applications are not that well multi-threaded so as to be able to use more than four cores very well.

Last edited:
The 955 will overclock higher and run cooler, but I personally would keep the 1055t over it. Go through some of the links here and try overclocking it, or troubleshoot some of your other parts. But if it boots to bios then it's pretty unlikely the CPU is causing your problems, it could be anything you or these computer techs have done.

That said, he should have let you have both CPU's simply because he is a moron for droping your CPU twice. It's highly unlikely that dropping it would cause damage as long as all the pins are left intact, but my experience with amd cpu's tells me that you don't ever want to be dropping them pin side down.

If you take it out to double check the pins you should use a credit card to ensure they are completely straight. But be very careful because they can break off trying to bend them back. And I recommend staying away from this computer shop in the future.

Back