• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Suggestion for AMD gaming rig ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Hey guys , been thinking , If im building a PURE AMD gaming rig from scratch.

Budget about 1500$ - 2000$ what would you guys suggest :shrug:

Things I won't need in the build
-SSD
-Keyboard, Mouse
-Monitor

Basically just the PC.

990FX based chipset with a FX8350 or FX8320 some decent 1866 or 2133 memory and 7970(s) should overclock nicely and give you a very decent bang for buck rig.

990FX based chipset with a FX8350 or FX8320 some decent 1866 or 2133 memory and 7970(s) should overclock nicely and give you a very decent bang for buck rig.

About the RAM , must the FX 8350 / 8150 / this 8320 run ram which are at 1866mhz ? If not mistaken , i think i came across reading something about the CPU will require a high speed RAM to actually perform.

It's strange not many 990FX based Chipset Mobo to choose from out there on the market. Any specific ones that's really good ?

Don't know about PD, but using 2133MHz RAM on my BD (8120) didn't help much perf wise comparing to 1600MHz.

I have the Asus Sabertooth 990FX and love it. Ram is more of a preference thing. Older shipset/cpu's on the AMD side were (I dont want to say locked but its best analogy) locked to 1333Mhz. Current offerings can see a boost when using 1866 or 2133 speed ram IF you overclock more than just the cpu. you have to find taht perfect balance between fsb nb and cpu to really see the advantages. getting them out of sync can lead to lower performance.

I have heard of some reports that 2400Mhz has been beneficial as well.

I have the Asus Sabertooth 990FX and love it. Ram is more of a preference thing. Older shipset/cpu's on the AMD side were (I dont want to say locked but its best analogy) locked to 1333Mhz. Current offerings can see a boost when using 1866 or 2133 speed ram IF you overclock more than just the cpu. you have to find taht perfect balance between fsb nb and cpu to really see the advantages. getting them out of sync can lead to lower performance.

I have heard of some reports that 2400Mhz has been beneficial as well.

I see but in my case, 1866 RAM are little bit pricey....if Im still able to perform without them , I think I will stick to my 1600 ones. Besides I just recently bought Avexir 8GB Kit , going to be getting another next month :thup:

Could anyone tell me when exactly was the FX 8350 released ?

What CPU Cooler do you guys suggest that it able to keep the FX CPU running nice and cool ? From what I seen , FX CPU tends to run very very hot...if not mistaken it's taking up over 200W ++ during load ? And AMD said it's ok even the CPU is over 60 C during load :shock: That's alot to me , for my i5 3550 so far it's never ever been over 60 C during gaming.

^ October 23 2012

A H100 at least, if you want to be sure to reach 4.5GHz and above.

And a 8+2 power phase MoBo.

Woa that's rather long ago...could consider this a rather old CPU , IMO....I really feel like changing my Intel to AMD but none new CPU coming from AMD =/

Mobo for AMD platform are dirt cheap....usually are rather high end too , but not high as INTEL ones your able to get....

What I really dislike is the amount of heat produces and power it consume for the FX series...

Ghoast Nova depending on how high you plan on overclocking, if at all here's a list of boards.
For high overclocking >4.5
ASUS Crosshair V Formula /Z
ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX
ASRock 990FX Extreme9/Fatal1ty
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA- UD7/UD5/UD3
For mild overclocking <4.5
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
ASUS M5A99X EVO /R2.0

If you don't like heat don't get an Fx-8xxx they will definitely produce more heat load then an Intel system. A suggestion to save you some money is to get the best possible Gpu and go with a Fx 6xxx series Cpu. The difference in frame rates is negligible between the two depending on the game.

That's 6 month ago... Not that old, lol!

Problem with PC world. Things are just few months old they are easily outdated and outperform by newer generation ones.....

Unless someone here can 100% GUARANTEE me a FX 8350 , well maybe if I get it by roughly or maybe earlier end of this year ( August - November)....but it's still able to EASILY last me 2-3 YEARS only for GAMING , without bottlenecking newer generation GPU like HD 8000 series etc

Then I will have strong consideration moving back to AMD platform....

But Im not much of an overclocker either....I know it's free performance.
But amount of heat , it produces when overclocks , well i sort of dislike the idea of it. And at the same moment your killing your CPU faster :-/ But a light overclocking I might consider just for sake of fun and knowledge.

I did light OCed on my GPU , TBH :thup:

Outdated is a relative term, no way to tell if and cpu/gpu you purchase today will be "bottlenecked" in 3 years. I can say this, I'm still running my Ati 5850 which is 3 generations old and I can still play any game I like. Maybe I cannot play at the highest settings with all the eye candy turned up but It still plays well. I can also put this gpu on my 955be with is, OOOOLLLLDDDD according to your 6 mouth outlook and it plays BF3 the same as my Fx 8350 as well as my I5-2500k which is also OLD!

Furthermore if you aren't planning on overclocking why are you even bothering to get a new system. The one in your Sig looks fine for your needs. If anything spend the money on a better gpu and you'll play any game out there at the best settings.

Outdated is a relative term, no way to tell if and cpu/gpu you purchase today will be "bottlenecked" in 3 years. I can say this, I'm still running my Ati 5850 which is 3 generations old and I can still play any game I like. Maybe I cannot play at the highest settings with all the eye candy turned up but It still plays well. I can also put this gpu on my 955be with is, OOOOLLLLDDDD according to your 6 mouth outlook and it plays BF3 the same as my Fx 8350 as well as my I5-2500k which is also OLD!

Furthermore if you aren't planning on overclocking why are you even bothering to get a new system. The one in your Sig looks fine for your needs. If anything spend the money on a better gpu and you'll play any game out there at the best settings.

Read this part below only if you don't feel like reading a long essay , the part with Quote

" To sum up all the $@#$ Im talking about is , correct me if Im wrong. Do you think basically if i do go to AMD FX 8350 , Im not much difference from my current setup except that I've only moved to AMD platform ? Which pretty much the FX 8350 might be under performance the same time as if running with my current i5 3550 "

Let's call it im being a fanboy of AMD :attn: :D
TBH , my real goal here is to gather bit more info for a AMD gaming rig , just want see what's everyone suggestion and opinion about it.

I did thought of maybe just stick to my current one till later hopefully soon AMD releases a new CPU. But it seems like AMD are still going on with their FX series for they have just recently released FX 6350 and a 4350.

And now they are making a FX Centurion just to compete with Intel's 1000$ i7 :clap: Hopefully AMD able to beat it though.

The CPU you mentioned i5 2500K but that's one powerful CPU , even till now that is i think you must OC it ? It can even compete with the AMD FX 8350..and i think it beats my i5 3550 too easily if you OC.

Well this is one of the big problem with the current AMD CPU , it is relatively weak....but least AMD released the 8350 just to compete with the current 3570K , for the 8150 had no chance. Even the 8350 is struggling to keep up with 3570K on gaming benchmarkes from what I seen...

To sum up all the $@#$ Im talking about is , correct me if Im wrong. Do you think basically if i do go to AMD , FX 8350 , Im not much difference from my current setup except that Ive only moved to AMD platform ? Which pretty much the FX 8350 might be under performance the same time if i kept running with my current setup.

I'd say that moving from a 3550 to a 8350 is about the same in performance gaming-wise. Games don't really care that much about the CPU you use...it's all about the GPU.

I'd say that moving from a 3550 to a 8350 is about the same in performance gaming-wise. Games don't really care that much about the CPU you use...it's all about the GPU.

Well I guess what I thought was right then :rain:

Im curious which method would you guys use if you wanted to upgrade your GPU performance , let's say if the HD 8000 series are no available on the market.

1) Just get another HD 7870 , do a Crossfire.

OR

2) Get a brand new Single Powerful HD 8000 series GPU that is better compared to the older HD 7870

From what I know I guess both way works , since usually when a later generation GPU releases , the old ones get cheaper.

But just curious on what would you guys suggest

It really depends on how much better the 8000 series is a than the 7000 series...current rumors say a lot better but it won't be out until possibly next year.

It really depends on how much better the 8000 series is a than the 7000 series...current rumors say a lot better but it won't be out until possibly next year.

Hmm I won't be surprise if 8000 series is lot better , for that 7000 series had quite a big performance leap compared to 6000 series

Sell the 7870 and grab a 7970 ;)

Maybe I should get the HD 7990 currently world's fastest GPU :thup:
Dual GPU if to be exact :attn: But hell lol , a (EDITED HERE : HD 7990 ) it's equivalent price of least 80% of my current rig lol.

But still there are alot of rich people able to afford them , where do they get their money from :-/

Another question just pop out from curiosity , for the HD 7990 is price at 1000$ , let's put aside whether is it worth it or not.
But I wanted to know , to you guys is it difficult to actually obtain it :shrug:

EDITED : 7970 to 7990 , mistype there.

Last edited:
Back