• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Rant/Discussion]GOG.com... ethics? bad practice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Msi.

Hello!

I recently finished my LAN setup in my room and decided to get a few old games from GOG.COM starting with:

1. Strong Hold Crusader Exteme HD
2. Nox

I had previously purchased games from GOG.COM and despite having some issues I felt that it might have simply been a trade off to get the game to work via digital distribution. But with my recent purchase I was proven wrong.

It seems that as my co worker mentioned, GOG edits the game core files to allow them to re-package the game and distribute it digitally and what this causes in many case is to break the game or functions of the game... in many case the single player will work fine and I am assuming that, thats what the majority of people are paying fore but the multiplayer often doesn't work.

My first encounter with bugs in there re-packaging was the baldures gate / icewind dale repackage that required you to start the game in window mode then to change it full screen or the game would crash to desktop, same issue happened in multiplayer and in some cases (icewind dale 2) that fix didn't fix the issue. but I digress...

my point is or what I would like to hear from people is there opinion and experiences with GOG and if this is more or less of an isolated issue or if you ran into the same kind of issues with that service.

I have bought many games from GOG and have not run into any of the issues you have mentioned. I was able to easily run Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 without issues, and it was super easy to install mods to them both to allow higher resolutions, and even to combine them into one game using Tutu.

It's good to hear some feedback, I will need to look into that again then as I have not touched baldurs gate in some time as I was playing the enhanced edition on steam. Also do you remeber if your items in baldurs gate port over to baldurs gate 2 when you make a game and import your character?

I think they are suppose to as there's a way to get the golem war suit or what ever its called if you collect the pantaloons.

Back