• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC Setup guide (LAV/MADVR/DTSHD)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chug

I'd always just used a k-lite or cccp codec pack previously, but recently noticed films looked a bit better in vlc. Gave this setup a go and quality increase was noticeable. Tried a couple others which didn't work or caused crashes. Here's the link to the one which worked...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357375/advanced-mpc-hc-setup-guide

The other thing I've been looking into the lossless formats and how to get them out easily and came across this guide.

My first misunderstanding was the need for a particular sound card (IE HDAV1.3 and the Auzen HTHD) for lossless analogue out, obviously it helps. The computer does the decoding with the software they suggest (arcsoft/cyberlink), not the sound card.

Now assuming you've got the pap out of the way. You're usually left with either Dolby TrueHD or DTSHD. TrueHD plays with ease in mpc and most players as far as I know? Playing back the dtshd is a problem, I'd started converting files to FLAC which is a bit long winded although does mean they are already decoded.

Fortunately the little trick in the above thread of copying the "dtsdecoderdll.dll" into the lav folder is pretty usefull meaning mpc can play the dtshd files. You can apply the same logic to Jriver to give the same result. I'm not sure about XBMC or VLC? I found somewhere else which also suggested copying it to a windows/system folder, syswow64 I think? will try and find it. I did both anyway.

The dll file is Arcsoft's dtshd decoder found in the tmt install folder, which is also there on the trial version if you don't happen to have it.

But how is the verified? Jriver shows a variable bitrate of around 26000kbps on a dtshd film I have, does that just refer to the audio? As far as I know its working as well in MPC although I don't know anyway to confirm this?

How does everyone get on bitstreaming to an AV receiver? This might be usefull...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=180055

Hopefully the above will save someone some hours.

Last edited:
The dll file is Arcsoft's dtshd decoder found in the tmt install folder, which is also there on the trial version if you don't happen to have it.

But how is the verified? Jriver shows a variable bitrate of around 26000kbps on a dtshd film I have, does that just refer to the audio? As far as I know its working as well in MPC although I don't know anyway to confirm this?

While a video with DTS-HD MA audio plays in MPC, right-click in the display area. Select Filters->LAV Audio. In the LAV properties dialog that appears go to the "Status" tab. On the left hand side it will show the Input to the decoder and the first line in the box will be Codec:

If Codec says "dts-hd ma", it's using the Arcsoft decoder and is decoding the full hd audio stream to PCM. Note that the Arcsoft decoder dll is 32-bit only, meaning you can only use it with the 32-bit MPC player and LAV 32-bit.

Cheers, working a treat it seems. Pretty glad I didn't have to convert a collection to FLAC, also pretty impressed with the quality increase. Certainly worth a punt I'd say.

Subbing so I remember these links/info when I build my HTPC. =D. Already bookmarked that blu-ray one. That's the main concern for my HTPC, playing blu rays; so thanks for that link ^^

Back