• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build won't post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rigit

I can't get my new setup to post. No SSD activity nothing. I using a gigabyte 970A-UD3 and a FX8320 cpu. Corsair H50 cooling and a 500w psu. I know the psu is a bit light but all it's being asked to power is the pump the fan the SSD and the cpu so I can't see that being the problem. This is my first time at a Piledriver cpu All I've done this far is Phenom II. So any help is appreciated. I already took the memory out and put it back. Tried different memory altogether nothing worked.

Reseat the CPU ? watch for bent pins in the process.

Recheck every connection to the motherboard and accessories.

I can't get my new setup to post. No SSD activity nothing. I using a gigabyte 970A-UD3 and a FX8320 cpu. Corsair H50 cooling and a 500w psu. I know the psu is a bit light but all it's being asked to power is the pump the fan the SSD and the cpu so I can't see that being the problem. This is my first time at a Piledriver cpu All I've done this far is Phenom II. So any help is appreciated. I already took the memory out and put it back. Tried different memory altogether nothing worked.

you make it sound like there's more than one power supply unit.....

Gotta have more system specs about the system than that. Are you using a second power supply? Is the second one jumpered?

I'm just curious how the board is getting power?

NOTE on PSU.....

A PSU rated at Max 500w does not mean that's the output. If it's 80%, that means it can load 80% of 500W continuously and 500w would be a peak draw at any given moment.

A PSU rated at Max 500w does not mean that's the output. If it's 80%, that means it can load 80% of 500W continuously and 500w would be a peak draw at any given moment.

If you refer to efficiency, you are wrong. an 80+ PSU is not rated for 80% of its total power .... it's rated for using the energy at at least 80% efficiency. use 100watts on the AC side to deliver 80watts on the DC side.

Simple calculation : This mean a 500w 80% rated unit will pull 625w at the wall to deliver 500w ( if it's 80% at full load ... )

Spot on, but bad math. A 500w load with an 80% efficient psu will pull 600w from the wall.

500 was the base number... You said 625. Now you say 600 and 480... I'm now confused, lol!

When have ANY of you guys seen a 500w pull 600w from the wall??

I can hardly get my 850w to pull more than 350w lols.

I haven't, but that's the math if you make it happen. :p

For another example, your 350w at the wall value on say a 90% efficient psu, your system is pulling about 325w actual. :)

I haven't, but that's the math if you make it happen. :p

For another example, your 350w at the wall value on say a 90% efficient psu, your system is pulling about 325w actual. :)

The side of my PSU says "Max 850w" and is 80% efficient to that number on output to DC.

Each rail is limited to it's own wattage/ampage as well.

He's probably exceeding the Amp output with the pump on the Cpu 12v rail.

I see what you guys are saying about the math. I wasn't talking about the draw at the wall though..... Just thought I'd let you know that.

For another example, your 350w at the wall value on say a 90% efficient psu, your system is pulling about 325w actual.

Being if we are talking dissipating wattage of heat from the PSU.

The side of my PSU says "Max 850w" and is 80% efficient to that number on output to DC.

Each rail is limited to it's own wattage/ampage as well.

He's probably exceeding the Amp output with the pump on the Cpu 12v rail.
not sure what you are saying up there at all...or the relevance if the second part, but admitedly, I'm tired as Hell! Lol!

The last part is a good stab at it, but if the psu could output half its power on the 12v it would boot. The h50 pump and fans may use 20w, in thinking less since my real pump is 18w full tilt. The pump in there is way weaker. Its not much at all.

not sure what you are saying up there at all...or the relevance if the second part, but admitedly, I'm tired as Hell! Lol!

The last part is a good stab at it, but if the psu could output half its power on the 12v it would boot. The h50 pump and fans may use 20w, in thinking less since my real pump is 18w full tilt. The pump in there is way weaker. Its not much at all.

I'm saying a 500w PSU never puts out 500w in DC. that is all.

Tired too. long day. Got off work early for a kids play at school.

all it's being asked to power is the pump the fan the SSD and the cpu

And this one had me thinking the board is run on a different PSU all together. :-/

That would be a weird setup, lol! A Molex or two and an 8 pin?! Say it ain't so!

And.... I'm crashing.

you make it sound like there's more than one power supply unit.....

Gotta have more system specs about the system than that. Are you using a second power supply? Is the second one jumpered?

I'm just curious how the board is getting power?

NOTE on PSU.....

I don't know what I said that made it wound like there was more than 1 psu. I said it was 500w and it was likely on the light side but I had unplugged everything except the fan for the rad, the water pump, the SSD and the CPU. I'm going to try to reseat as was suggested. This thread kinda got off track.

I don't know what I said that made it wound like there was more than 1 psu. I said it was 500w and it was likely on the light side but I had unplugged everything except the fan for the rad, the water pump, the SSD and the CPU. I'm going to try to reseat as was suggested. This thread kinda got off track.

I'm sorry for that, let's get back on track...

Either your PSU isn't up to it, or the board might have a problem.

Things you can do....

Be sure CMOS jumper is in the run position. Some boards will do nothing or continuously reboot if in the clear position.

Check the PSU with a multimeter. I'm sure there's a guide for jumping your PSU and testing here somewhere.

Hopefully it's something simple, and you get it working.

I'm sorry for that, let's get back on track...

Either your PSU isn't up to it, or the board might have a problem.

Things you can do....

Be sure CMOS jumper is in the run position. Some boards will do nothing or continuously reboot if in the clear position.

Check the PSU with a multimeter. I'm sure there's a guide for jumping your PSU and testing here somewhere.

Hopefully it's something simple, and you get it working.

It was a bent pin. Guess I got a bit excited during construction and got careless. I hate that because they can easily break trying to put them back. Happened to my P2 940. That's how I came into the P2 975BE. This time I had it under a magnifying glass using a REALLY fine needle being super cautious. 1 step at a time carefully thought out. Got it back in line and straight up and down far as I could see. Gave it a try and she dropped right in. Fired it up to the post screen. That will take some studying to get to know. Never had a mouse function in bios before. Then again I've never seen a bios quite like that before either. This should be fun. :cool:

It was a bent pin. Guess I got a bit excited during construction and got careless. I hate that because they can easily break trying to put them back. Happened to my P2 940. That's how I came into the P2 975BE. This time I had it under a magnifying glass using a REALLY fine needle being super cautious. 1 step at a time carefully thought out. Got it back in line and straight up and down far as I could see. Gave it a try and she dropped right in. Fired it up to the post screen. That will take some studying to get to know. Never had a mouse function in bios before. Then again I've never seen a bios quite like that before either. This should be fun. :cool:

Phew, that's great news!!

I can't get used to the new bios's either. I still use the key board, it just seems natural that way!

Rigit,

I'm glad you got it figured out! Any time I see someone with a board that won't light up or post, it reminds me of one of my early builds.

I installed everything on the board, as usual, had a few beers, as usual, and put the board in the case. I got everything all hooked up and nothing.....no post, no lights, nothing.

I spent the next 2 days troubleshooting the board and then requested an RMA. When I went to put the board in the box to send back, I found the standoffs in a little bag......I forgot to put them in the case before I installed the board.....

I had to eat crow and say I "figured" out the problem and didn't need to send the board back.

Ah, good times, good times......

Back