• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gygibyte 970A-UD3 won't OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rigit

I just did a new build. FX-8320BE I can't get anything in bios to come off auto. I did the following
Hi performance mode-enabled
Core C6 state-disabled
CPU core control-disabled
C1E 1 core per cu-Can be set to 2 cores per procesor 4 cores per processor 6 cores per processor or auto
SVM-disabled
cool and quiet-disabled
cpu unlock-disabled (don't need it.)
CPU performance boost-enabled
I should be able to change things. voltage multiplier all of it but none of it will come off auto. I can OC in windows with easytune 6 but that sucks. What am I doing wrong here? This type of bios is totally new to me. Never seen anything like it. You can even use a mouse. I just need to get to where I can change things and then start studying for OC'n this cpu.

I assume you've already tried highlighting each option, then using the +/- keys on the NumPad to change their values?

Have you updated the bios??

No. I found no need. The board should support the FX-8320 it's on the support list for this board on gigabyte's site. Since flashing a bios is risky I've not done it. ANYTHING goes wrong during update and your board is dead. I can do it reasonably safe using @BioS utility. I guess I should at least look.

CPU performance boost-enabled
I may be wrong but I believe having this enabled allows the mobo to overclock the cpu. Try disabling it and maybe you can then manually OC it.

No. I found no need. The board should support the FX-8320 it's on the support list for this board on gigabyte's site. Since flashing a bios is risky I've not done it. ANYTHING goes wrong during update and your board is dead. I can do it reasonably safe using @bios utility. I guess I should at least look.
It may only support the cpu with the newest BIOS. Usually the best way to update it is through a thumb flash drive.

No. I found no need. The board should support the FX-8320 it's on the support list for this board on gigabyte's site. Since flashing a bios is risky I've not done it. ANYTHING goes wrong during update and your board is dead. I can do it reasonably safe using @bios utility. I guess I should at least look.

It's not about cpu support. Most of the time it's stability and functionality support.

Gotta go see the gigabyte website. They'll have instructions on how to update bios in windows or in the bios.

I suggest NOT using the windows app to install a new bios unless you really absolutely have to all else fails.

One bad move during an bios update through windows, and you'll brick the board. You can however reload the original bios and save the board, Or just buy a chip from biosdepot.

It'll OC properly once you update. Good luck!

Need help, just ask!

It's not about cpu support. Most of the time it's stability and functionality support.

Gotta go see the gigabyte website. They'll have instructions on how to update bios in windows or in the bios.

I suggest NOT using the windows app to install a new bios unless you really absolutely have to all else fails.

One bad move during an bios update through windows, and you'll brick the board. You can however reload the original bios and save the board, Or just buy a chip from biosdepot.

It'll OC properly once you update. Good luck!
Need help, just ask!

I updated to the latest bios via q flash in bios. No avail. This thing won't even let me change the date and time. I think I've got a bad board and I'm going to have to rma it. I got it at newegg so I'll be contacting them. If that fails Gigabyte.:mad:

I have the UD3, and I don't have a UEFI bios. You aren't manipulating the options through that EFI program within windows are you?
Also, which revision do you have? I assume you know to use the multiplier for overclocking since it's a black edition, and not the FSB speed?

Edit: You need to disable performance boost. That feature only applies to running a CPU at stock - it disables a couple of cores and boosts the clock speed slightly when the program would benefit from faster single threaded performance. If you leave this enabled, it will "boost" your overclock right in the toilet and will lower your clock speed to the pre-determined boost speed (assuming it manages to do it without crashing the computer, which it sounds like it isn't).

Last edited:
I may be wrong but I believe having this enabled allows the mobo to overclock the cpu. Try disabling it and maybe you can then manually OC it..
Did you try this. Disable CPU performance??

Also with the UEFI BIOS you need to hit enter when you change something or use the arrow keys to move down the list. Otherwise it reverts back to previous settings. At least thats the way mine work!!

I assume you've already tried highlighting each option, then using the +/- keys on the NumPad to change their values?

OK well this is really not my fault I mean they should have done it right. If they had then all of this wouldn't have happened. I'm considering a strongly worded letter to Gigabyte about not following standards. I mean who knew... ah f it I read the damn manual. Seems this board doesn't work quite like the rest. You can't hit enter and then change values. Use the arrow keys or the mouse to move around but double clicking doesn't necessarily change the setting. Overclocking settings you must use the page up and page down keys to change values. This is Greek to me. I feel like such a noob. So many things in bios I don't understand. I'll be posting a new thread to address some of these issues. In the mean time a test run got me to 3600Mhz. That just proved things work and I can overclock. Thanks for the help.

Back