• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 670 FTW Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LStar

Registered
Ok im planning on getting the gtx 670 ftw version over the 680 just to save $100 because the 670 ftw is basically a reference 680 maybe 4% better then it.
The question i would like to know is with msi afterburner when overclocking this 670 ftw which has (Below)
Core - 1006MHz
Boost - 1084Mhz

How much do you think i can overclock it too without moving the voltage up? reason being im new to overclocking, basically learning and people said when you're learning you shouldn't really mess with the volts cause you may over volt and fry/lose a $400 gpu :-/:-/

Don't worry, you can't move the voltage up :p

Frying a GTX670 is nearly impossible due to the limits Nvidia builds in.

It's anyones guess, there is no calculation or chart.
for your reference, I had a Gigabyte Windforce x3, reference 680 pcb and I had the cores clocked @ 1270.

Good luck!

Don't worry, you can't move the voltage up :p

Frying a GTX670 is nearly impossible due to the limits Nvidia builds in.
Are you sure you aren't able to move the voltage up? and if not then what do you think i can get if i OC it to the max stability without moving volts?

Guy, there's a voltage lock on almost every GPU out there. Just so that people who don't know much on overclocking don't fry there chips and cry to Nvidia/AMD. It's much the same as unlocked CPU's they OC to the voltage lock, then no more.

The GPU is voltage locked but you can get around it with quick fixes. At least on other 680s you can...

I am also planning on buying this card as well. From what I have read, you will have a tough time OCin the Core on this model since it is already OCd. People who tried it had stability issues. You can OC the Memory though no problem.

I've had a GTX 670 FTW for nearly a year now, and despite numerous attempts, my core clock won't budge a bit without spewing artifacts like it was the Fourth of July in Unigine Heaven. As Leegit said, memory is easy, and I've got it running at 7.2GHz and could easily push it further. Also worth mentioning: make a custom fan profile so that the card never reaches 70C. Beginning at 70 and continuing in blocks of 6C, the card will declock its core 13MHz every time it reaches one of these temps. Running GTA IV modded to the max, struggling to reach 25fps, I rarely pass 55C while the fan is at 75%.

Guy, there's a voltage lock on almost every GPU out there. Just so that people who don't know much on overclocking don't fry there chips and cry to Nvidia/AMD. It's much the same as unlocked CPU's they OC to the voltage lock, then no more.
Regarding CPUs, there are no hard voltage limits. Locked multis or not.

My man...some of your advice... Yikes.

Back