• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS4 GDDR5 vs 360 DDR3...which wins?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treepop

After finding out the Xbox One (horrible name) had DDR3 ram and 32megs esram, while the PS4 had GDDR5 I assumed the PS4 was the clear winner. Am I wrong? I would assume that the much faster GDDR5 would be much better.

Would love others thoughts on the matter.

Thanks!

We have a forum for game systems. It's also the full package, not just the ram that matters. We'll have to wait and see.

"The PS4, in comparison, has an 8-core Jaguar AMD CPU, with a GPU that’s around the same level as the Radeon 7870 (which is significantly more powerful than the 7790). The PS4 has 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, providing 176GB/s of bandwidth to both the CPU and GPU."

--

"The PS4, with its one, big block of fast RAM, and bigger GPU, probably has the edge."

Quoted from previously provided link.

Better Ram: Check
Better GPU: Check

Who wins? AMD: GPU and CPU in both systems! Lol!

Good shot for them. Might help investments in a near future.

"The PS4, in comparison, has an 8-core Jaguar AMD CPU, with a GPU that’s around the same level as the Radeon 7870 (which is significantly more powerful than the 7790). The PS4 has 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, providing 176GB/s of bandwidth to both the CPU and GPU."

--

"The PS4, with its one, big block of fast RAM, and bigger GPU, probably has the edge."

Quoted from previously provided link.

Better Ram: Check
Better GPU: Check

Yep. Buy the one you want. Both will rock your socks. What socks you wear depends on your needs and what games. That will be the winner.

This is just silly. :facepalm:

I see a Sony Fanbio here.:rofl:

Sony will be more powerful, just like in the current Gen. Fortunately the architecture should (will) be easier to code for than the cell processor in the ps3 so maybe the ps4 will have a bit more staying power.

Interesting. So I guess my question is; (even though it is stated the ps4 is a 8 core with 2ghz 7870 vs the 8 core 1.6ghz xbox 7790) all else being equal, which would yield higher overall gaming performance. GDDR5 or DDR3 + 32megs esRam?

Just looking at it, RAM wise the PS4 just looks like a much MUCH stronger, but much MUCH more expensive rig. Or am I overvaluing GDDR5?

Last edited:
Interesting. So I guess my question is; (even though it is stated the ps4 is a 8 core with 2ghz 7870 vs the 8 core 1.6ghz xbox 7790) all else being equal, which would yield higher overall gaming performance. GDDR5 or DDR3 + 32megs esRam?

Just looking at it, RAM wise the PS4 just looks like a much MUCH stronger, but much MUCH more expensive rig. Or am I overvaluing GDDR5?

We will have to see, to be honest. I think it will matter more which console the developer spends more time/focuses on. For the PS4 it will be using its own OpenGL language for coding and the X1 will be using DX11 I do believe. Because of the potential benefits of DX11 it may even the playing field, but I think that the X1 will be more difficult to code for because of the necessity to take care of the more limited RAM (as other RAM is set aside for the other operating systems).

We will have to see, to be honest. I think it will matter more which console the developer spends more time/focuses on. For the PS4 it will be using its own OpenGL language for coding and the X1 will be using DX11 I do believe. Because of the potential benefits of DX11 it may even the playing field, but I think that the X1 will be more difficult to code for because of the necessity to take care of the more limited RAM (as other RAM is set aside for the other operating systems).

Is DX11 that much better than openGL?

Back