• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading from GTX 660 to 700 Series

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wipeout

I just wanted some thoughts on this subject.I need a new motherboard and cpu for my gaming rig.It's a great time to sit on the fence, and see what Haswell has to offer in the i5 department.

I wonder about my present video card.I have a 660 FTW SC.It can play most games on Ultra, but not all.I use (1) Asus 24 inch 2ms monitor, and play games @ 1080p.The 780 looks like a very sweet card, but that's overkill for my set-up.I'm sure the 770's and 760's will follow.Would that be worthy upgrade?

Honestly, I'd keep your current 6300 and spend the cash on the GPU department. Not so long ago I read an article @ Anand that stated that, for a monoGPU system, you'd be good to go with an APU. That 6300 is more than enough.

If you can, grab a 780 or wait for AMD's answer. (Q4 '13, Q1 '14)

Dont get a 780 for 1080p, overdoing it.

The 770 will be a rebranded/little better 680. Lets guess that the 760ti will be the next 670 or will they brand it 770ti ? who know ....

The 770 or the small brother will be your best pick for 1080p.

Boulard83 is right, everything but the 780 is a rebranded 680 with a facewash, but I would not recommend a GTX770. Instead, I'd get an used 680. Probably the same performance with some overclocking.

My suggestion is to wait and see what the numbers will bring and pricing. Its tough to say which you should get when we have no idea how the 770 performs or frankly when/if any other lesser variants will be released. ;)

You may want to revisit this thread in a couple weeks, whenever the 770 performance numbers/pricing is out.

Thanks for the ideas.I will use my 660 on my main rig.I game on that too :) I like the 6300 because its an all around good chip for gaming, and other tasks.

Gaming Rig: Need Mobo,cpu,and gpu.

I replaced all the fans, new psu, ssd, and hdd's.Being a gamer, I am well informed on Intel single core performance vs multi core amd chips.I am a very loyal amd fan,but when it comes to performance and games, Intel is my best choice.I'm in a good spot atm.I can upgrade in those areas using Intel, but need to see some real world scores.

Last edited:
+1 for used 670/680. Maybe nvidia will release something killer for their next round but overall not impressed with the price-performance difference on the 770s.

Back