• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When will I be bottlenecked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zephos

I'm definitely going to buy a new GPU, and I don't want to overpay if my CPU will hinder the ability of the card. I'm willing to pay up to a 780, but I'm 99.99% sure that'd be a waste of money.

I was thinking probably a 670 4gb before, because it seems like vram is quickly becoming a necessity, even at lowish resolutions like 1920x1080

Yep, but if you don't mind going to the AMD side, have a look at the 7970. Cheaper and netting more FPS than the 670, with 3GB vRam.

PS: don't mind my sig, I am no AMD fanboy, just lacking the cash for a new Intel rig right now, lol!

Haha I know the feeling. I'd rather have an i7 instead of this Phenom x4, but bang for buck it seems like the best processor on the market. $100 quad core? I'll take that any day.

However, I'll be going off to school in a year and a half, so I'd rather not waste a whole summer's earnings on a brand new top-of-the-line intel rig. Doesn't seem worth it.

As you can see in the benchmarks I linked in the second post, your x4@4GHz is still very capable. But getting a$650 GTX780 would be a waste of money. The Ph being too much of a bottleneck. You should really have a look to the 79xx line... It's 20/25% less in perf than the 780, but cost half the price.

I have definitely considered them, and they do seem very good. I guess I was pleasantly surprised by the Phenom's abilities, as cheap as it was, so I assume I'd have the same experience with their graphics. I've just always heard bad things about drivers, but maybe that's just fanboys

I'm sorta in the same place right now. Except I'm upgrading a 7-8 year old rig ;)

Initially, I planned to go EVGA 670 FTW+ 4GB, then the 700s series came out and that got me excited but I just don't think the price is justified. For me, it depends on the price point for the 770... but even then dropping 550+ for amazing performance with 3GB seems like you shooting yourself in the foot if you want to go tri-monitor and futureproof.

If I were you, I would get the EVGA 670 FTW+ 4GB or go the 7970 route as suggested. Then either pick up another for cheap when you need the performance or go for the 800s series in early 2015.

I'm still undecided but I'm leaning towards doing exactly that :D

I use(d) both AMD and nVidia.

Never ran into issue with any of them.

Same for Intel/AMD: had a very good bargain on a 1075T/MoBo and jumped on it.

Clocked as it is (even a bit lower like 4GHz), it handles every game just fine (Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, Borderland 2...) at 1080p.

I'm sorta in the same place right now. Except I'm upgrading a 7-8 year old rig ;)

Initially, I planned to go EVGA 670 FTW+ 4GB, then the 700s series came out and that got me excited but I just don't think the price is justified. For me, it depends on the price point for the 770... but even then dropping 550+ for amazing performance with 3GB seems like you shooting yourself in the foot if you want to go tri-monitor and futureproof.

If I were you, I would get the EVGA 670 FTW+ 4GB or go the 7970 route as suggested. Then either pick up another for cheap when you need the performance or go for the 800s series in early 2015.

I'm still undecided but I'm leaning towards doing exactly that :D

Wise words.

Yep, I think I'll go with the 670 4gb, but that's tentative because I'm still waiting on a call for a job. If I get the job (I'm pretty sure I will) I won't mind spending a little more.

As it is now, I got Crysis 3 on medium, and every other game I've tried (Far Cry, BF3, BL2, Metro 2033) I get at least a steady 30fps without AA.

I'll also be shoving all this into a Corsair Carbide 200R, so it doesn't look so gaudy in a dorm room once I move off.

Back