• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE 3 Step Guide to Overclock Your i7 / i5 Haswell Platform

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Well, we skipped a generation on the front page, because overclocking Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge were both relatively similar. The overclocking game, however, is in for a bit of a facelift with Haswell.

What if I were to tell you all this super high speed RAM people purchased for Ivy was no longer necessary and/or it can't be used with Haswell? What if I were to ...

... Return to article to continue reading.

**We have forms for you to enter your overclocks! Due to a forgetful editor they're in post #20 and I'm putting them in this post as well. :) **

***A separate thread for results was created. These are the same forms and will still work, but to see the graphed results, check out the Intel Haswell i7 4770K & i5 4670K Results Thread!

Post your overclocks here!

i7 4770K Result Form

i5 4670K Result Form

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Hokie!

Alright... some fresh reading material. :thup:

Oih Boi... "That’s just the nature of Haswell. With the VRM on-die, think of Haswell as Ivy Bridge plus 10° C."... bummer. :(

Aaaaand bookmarked :)

Nice guide, can't wait to put it to use!

@hokie, I found that observation of yours about the inverse relationship between CPU clocks and ram clocks to be specially interesting. In that case, all of the really impressive Haswell ram clocks being posted about are pretty much for show, because if you want overall higher performance (like you stated, CPU clocks are what counts), then you aren't likely to be running one of those 2933 kits at their rated clock speed. Granted, there is nothing wrong with showing off the ram at 3000+, but from a practical standpoint that makes absolutely no sense if you have to dial down the CPU to accomplish it. One this is dropping it down a notch if you're right at the edge, but this appears to be way more than that.

Have you had the opportunity to discuss this with Asus or anyone else to confirm that this has been observed by others, or is it possible that it is peculiar to your sample?

Last edited:
ivanlabrie said:
Well, the pifast record is at 6700mhz and uses bbse over 3000mhz with cl5-9-7-18-1t...so I'm not too sure about that.

Janus67 said:
The ram that Ney uses is incredible though,

@Janus67...sir, in this case, your glowing praise of the ram is simply not sufficient. Dang, those are some serious sticks of ram!

@ivanlabrie, that may very well be true, but Hokie's testing was done at ambient temps so comparisons should probably be as well in order for them to be relevant. You now that what happens at sub-ambient temps doesn't always hold true at ambient temps, much less 24/7 usage.

Last edited:
@Hokie, I found that observation of yours about the inverse relationship between CPU clocks and ram clocks to be specially interesting. In that case, all of the really impressive Haswell ram clocks being posted about are pretty much for show, because if you want overall higher performance (like you stated, CPU clocks are what counts), then you aren't likely to be running one of those 2933 kits at their rated clock speed. Granted, there is nothing wrong with showing off the ram at 3000+, but from a practical standpoint that makes absolutely no sense if you have to dial down the CPU to accomplish it. One this is dropping it down a notch if you're right at the edge, but this appears to be way more than that.

Have you had the opportunity to discuss this with Asus or anyone else to confirm that this has been observed by others, or is it possible that it is peculiar to your sample?

Excellent question Reefa. My RAM advice actually come a straight from ASUS. I used it to my advantage when clocking my chip but that is expected to be the new norm. Obviously YMMV with IMC and CPU clocks, and going cold as you've seen on the not throws convention out the window. The guide is for ambient clocking mostly though.

@Reefa:

I'm going to be disappointed if Haswell's IMC doesn't run memory overclocks at half bank or even full bank "stable" with higher memory speeds than IB will run in the x44 to x48 range.

I picked up a new combo this morning... So we will see how it goes.

Thanks for paying tribute to my Sandybridge overclocking thread. :D

Your thread is much better. Beautifully written guide. Very long and highly informative. Awesome job man. :thup:

@hokie, thanks for the reply.

I nearly always bring up the rear when it comes to trying out the new platforms so I really appreciate all the blood, sweat & tears that you guys go through so that users like me don't have to. :)

These chips do seem to run rather toasty... Initial quick (~30 min) Prime large fft at 45x with fixed vcore @1.2v.

Attachments

• i7-4770K.PNG
    i7-4770K.PNG
    65.6 KB · Views: 8,070
Looks solid so far PolRoger. Don't forget to fill out the form when you're done dialing it in! :)

EDIT - OMG mdcomp fail. Stand by for form insertion!

Post Your Overclocks Here!

***A separate thread for results was created. These are the same forms and will still work, but to see the graphed results, check out the Intel Haswell i7 4770K & i5 4670K Results Thread!

i7 4770K Result Form

i5 4670K Result Form

I put them in the OP as well. :D

Last edited:
Back