• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Escapades: socket 939 Athlon 64 3000+ Venice (E3)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

Yes, once again it is time to overclock another socket 939 CPU.

This time up on the test bench is the AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice E3 stepping (ADA3000DAA4BP).

I'm starting this one out the same way I always do, seeing how fast it can go at stock voltage, and then raising the voltage up to go further.

This one went to 2.5GHz at stock voltage (700MHz above stock), which is fairly impressive to be honest.

So far, I'm at 2.7GHz with 1.57V. Voltage is a bit higher than I'd like for this kind of CPU speed, that said though I'm running at 900MHz above the stock speed, and that's no small feat for a socket 939 CPU.

This one may well change my view on the older E3 stepping chips. I'd be ecstatic if it makes 2.8GHz, for a full 1GHz overclock.

2.8ghz should be NP. It'll run with 1.65v all day, may want some cooler temps beyond 1.65volt.

Is this air cooled?

2.8ghz should be NP. It'll run with 1.65v all day, may want some cooler temps beyond 1.65volt.

Is this air cooled?

Yes, it is air cooled. Thermalright Ultima 90 (TRUE's little brother).

I managed to get it to 2.8GHz, but it's needing 1.7 volts to be semi-stable. Temperatures remain reasonable, but I really don't like using this much voltage to stay stable.

Back on it again tech :D

The Venice clock a lot better than the winny does, and you know these chips are mental as to how much vcore they can take on ambient cooling. :attn:

I have just checked the bot and my winny 3000 didn't even make 2.8 CPUz :rofl:

Yes, it is air cooled. Thermalright Ultima 90 (TRUE's little brother).

I managed to get it to 2.8GHz, but it's needing 1.7 volts to be semi-stable. Temperatures remain reasonable, but I really don't like using this much voltage to stay stable.

1.7v is a little high up there. Bet it would do better under liquid, but hey work with what you got and your doing pretty good.

Got any screenies?

Back on it again tech :D

The Venice clock a lot better than the winny does, and you know these chips are mental as to how much vcore they can take on ambient cooling. :attn:

I have just checked the bot and my winny 3000 didn't even make 2.8 CPUz :rofl:
You know it. Had to take a little time off from benching due to work schedule, but I'm trying to benching some chips I have laying around now.

Yep, I've never actually managed to kill a Venice yet (E3 or E6), mainly because they more often than not will stop scaling well short (most don't gain past 1.65V on air) of the dangerous voltage zone (1.75V for an extended period on most).

I think I've got a Winchester in my stack of CPU's somewhere come to think of it. I'm not expecting great things from it, as from what I've read they're not great overclockers to begin with. If I make 2600 or 2700 I'll probably be happy with that.

Must say I'm impressed you made 2775MHz with just 1.4V though.

That's wishfull thinking, it was more like 1.7+ I remember CPUz said 1.4v no matter what vcore I was using :rolleyes: I have a San Diego laying around some where and that thing clocks like crazy. Was it you that wanted a cooler for a 6800 gpu ?

That's wishfull thinking, it was more like 1.7+ I remember CPUz said 1.4v no matter what vcore I was using :rolleyes: I have a San Diego laying around some where and that thing clocks like crazy. Was it you that wanted a cooler for a 6800 gpu ?

Oh, is that what was going on. That makes more sense then.

I must admit I've not had that problem with voltage reporting yet.

I'm still jealous as hell of that 3.3GHz 4000+ San Diego of yours, mine wouldn't go higher than 3GHz last time I ran it.

Yes, I was looking for a cooler for a 6800GT PCI Express card.

I've never even heard of the Paris core. Though I stick mainly to the Athlon 64 CPU's when overclocking on s939. Don't think I've ever even owned a Sempron in that socket type.

Oh, it's socket 754, never mind. I've never heard of a s939 Paris core because it doesn't exist.

Paris core !!!!! I have never had one of those, may keep my eye out for one if those.

Tech. I think I have a cooler, may be a ultra or gt, I can't remember, i killed the card during the team cup so its busted, but the coolers like new, you can have it if you want.

That was one of two s754 processors that I found did not have a cold bug, or at least tolerated some decently low temps.... Challenging little buggers to say the least.

That Paris core processor was on LN2. Judging by most OCs that I've done with this platform is the CB and voltage issue. Can't push more voltage without cold and almost all cpus I tried got anywhere near freezing locked right up, when under liquid ran fine nearing that point of 2.8ghz-3ghz.

Back