• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking zotac gtx 780 safely

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

naxonater

Registered
I just bought a single zotac gtx 780 and I really don't know anything about overclocking. I just recently entered the PC gaming world and I am pretty much overwhelmed. Here is the rig I bought please let me know (in detail) what I can do to get the most out of my investment.

i7 4700K CPU 3.5 ghz
zotac gtx 780
16 G RAM
top of the line water cooling corsair unit (i forgot the name, im at work now)
Windows 8
120 G SSD
2 T Hard drive

Just enjoy it? You dont need to overclock the GPU at all... I assume you are on a 2560x1440 or greater monitor to purchase such a monster?

That said, its simple, raise power limit to its max, then raise the core offset up in say 25MHz increments, test with Unigine Heaven, if it works, move on, if not, lower it. Rinse and repeat with the memory.

(there is an edit button to add to your posts, note. :))

Thanks EarthDog, Just a little background so you get my frame of mind here: I have been a gamer for as long since I was 7 or 8 years old (Im currently 28) and since then I have gone through pretty much every single console right up to this current generation. Up until now I haven't had to worry about much as I just had to plug my ps3 or xbox 360 in and play. When I saw what companies like nvidia where doing with gaming and my consoles getting older and older I had to jump onboard and I wanted to get the most kick *** rig I could afford and get next-gen gaming now. Now that I have said rig I am impressed with performance from games like Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light but I was kind of expecting more, am I crazy?

I wouldnt call you crazy, just that you may have unrealistic expectations... whatever those may have been that you 'expected more'.

Sorry about the bad grammer btw I'm at work and multi-tasking like crazy over here.

At this point I don't have a high end monitor yet although I have my eye on the new 2k 27" model from Asus. I'm currently playing at 1080p on my samsung flatscreen 40" tv.

You're probably "expected more" because of the tv. Get a 23" 1080p monitor and it'll look great. Get a 23" 1440p monitor and you'll probably wet yourself, when compared to the consoles.

1080p and that card = CPU bottleneck really. Overclocking your CPU will help add FPS if that is your concern? Not sure, you seem to randomly be replying a bit here...leaving out what your expectations are. :)

Have you seen the trailer for the new Killzone on PS4? That is pretty much what I was expecting. I know consoles are optimized like crazy and that sony has some really tallented developers but even crysis 3 at the highest settings possible (on my rig not some 3 titan sli beast) was impressive but doesn't really compare.

If you think Killzone will look as good as the trailer, you're in for a surprise.

I will definitely upgrade to a monitor then thanks. The resolution might make all the difference, thanks!

Oh believe me I know that, as I said I have been gaming for a long while now and the trailers always look better but honestly, and I think this is what I have been getting at, can my pc hold it's own when the new consoles and new games come out in the coming months?

I just spent all this cash and to be outperformed by a 500-600 dollar console just a few months later....

Nax, you are all over the map my friend... you mention it doesnt look as good as the trailers, we say of course not, you then say, you know...? Next, outperform... that to me is not an image quality issues as you mentioned above. Are you talking frames per second or image quality?

A PC, with a game that isn't ported, will always look better than a console really. You have one of the best GPU's and CPU's around, it will look as good or better, yes. As far as performance goes, I think consoles are locked at 24/30 FPS IIRC... so yes your PC will put up more FPS.

It will hold its own for quite a while. The PS4 is set to have graphics comparable to a mid range AMD GPU. Same for the Xbox One.

Best part is, when your PC starts to seem slower, just upgrade pieces.

Thank you both good advice and I feel a little better about this investment now. Like I said I'm new to all this so once again much appreciated.

Back