• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"OH CRAP" Core temp not displaying properly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
Well as Promised here's my first "official" post.
Attempting to OC my P2 x6 and I don't believe the core temp reading I'm getting from HWMonitor. It's staying at a cool 19C even during P95, but my TMPIN1 (CPU I assume) is climbing to the mid 50's. What can cause my temps to not be displayed correctly?

The screen dump is at stock condition, but if you look at max in HWM its from a bump in the multi from 16 to 17(or 3.2GHz to 3.4GHz). :confused:

View attachment 128518

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have the cores unlocked? It can cause faulty temp readings.

I unlocked them in my bios. It is possible I didn't save though. Is there a way to check in Windows7?

Yes cores unlocked is set to [ENABLE]
I changed Core Control from [AUTO] to [MANUAL]

Problem still exists. In Bios Core temp reads 36C but once Win loads Core temp and HWM display 19C.

the 1090T is a 6 core CPU there are no extra cores to unlock so if you have set it in your bios to unlock cores go back in and disable that. If my memory is right by setting your bios to unlock core your core temps will NOT show at all.

We don't get many MSI boards here, I did have a MSI 890FX GD70 a while back but alas it is no longer in the living and my memory is failing me on how it displayed the CPU Socket temp so I am not sure if TMPIN1 is your "CPU Socket Temp", (Package in HWMoniter references your CPU or Core temps) or your Northbridge temp. If that is your Socket temp then some better case airflow will help. Get a fan blowing across your socket area and if you can get a fan in behind your CPU Socket, if your case has a CPU Socket cutout put another there to suck out warm air from behind the motherboard. This will help with your socket temps.

1. Your CPU does not have any locked cores, so do NOT enable the unlock features because
2. Enabling "unlock" kills the core temp readings.

Your memory serves you well.

[Diasabled] unlock cores
[Auto] CPU core control

Should I be concerned with the TMPIN1 TEMP? What's a safe number for CPU socket?

At 50 degrees I wouldn't be concerned. Mine will regularly hit low to mid 60s if I'm testing for stability.

Your memory serves you well.

[Diasabled] unlock cores
[Auto] CPU core control

Should I be concerned with the TMPIN1 TEMP? What's a safe number for CPU socket?

I think it has already been mentioned that we don't see many MSI boards in here and there are likely reasons for that circumstance. MSI garnered a very poor reputation in the past from their VRM mosfets actually blowing up or expanding dramatically and taking out other parts as well as the mobo. Is that fixed? Don't know. Suffice it to say that you are only about the 11th MSI board user we have had in here since I came back in April 2011.

The latest user has a Deneb four core running pretty well. Your Thuban should likely do 'ok' also. That TMPIN1 is not the socket temp from long hours with the last MSI user of that board. We did not find out for sure and certain what it was but it seemed it was likely the VRMs or the North Bridge. On some of the wonky MSI ones lately that TMPIN1 would sky-rocket for no freeken reason we could see. Maybe just poor cooling on the surface of the mobo or poor chipset and VRM sinks. Who knows since like I said we see few of the boards.

I would expect that TMPIN0 is the socket temp and that the TMPIN2 is what most of see as board temp.
RGone...

Thanks everyone for your advice.
I'm currently researching these (as RGone states) "wonky" temp readings. From reading multipule forums I have come to the conclusion that these temp readings are highly questionable at best. I've seen snips of 95C! with no hangs. For safety's sake I'm going to re-seat my NB heat sink and re-apply paste to rule out inadequate heat tape during manufacturing.

If temps continue to climb into the high 60's I may look into a cooling system. I have yet to join the water cooling gang and maybe it's time for my initiation (hopefully not by fire!). I'll read up on the water cooling forum before changing anything though.

As far as the MSI brand I can only speak from my personal experience. I've been using MSI boards exclusively for the last 5 or 6 builds and have NEVER had an issue. I supose it's possible that it's just an overclocking thing with elevated temps but with the emphasis you guys place on cooling and air flow I highly doubt it. In fact I'd bet your systems run cooler over clocked than mine running at stock. Either way, I appreciate ALL advice and I'm confident I'll get this wrked out with you guys at my virtual side.

I'll post more as I figure out more...maybe a few snips too. :salute:

Nothing wrong with snips man. We love snips.

When I have just had to know what temp was what before, I have taken a can of freon and a short charging hose like used for DIYers and while in windows, sprayed the VRM sink and looked for temp drop. If none dropped then I sprayed North Bridge just south of cpu socket and watched for the falling temp. That usually told me which was which. I use HWMonitor open on the desktop in winders since I know it should be logging; meaning it is regularly polling the temps, and that way I have all the temps open for viewing. Luck man.
RGone...

Wow, that's a great idea.:thup: You could probably use any compressed air for that matter. Way better idea than "dude, just put your finger on it. If it hurts it's to hot." that I read on a different forum. LOL

I would think any strong air stream directed to a component would drop temps and serve to help identify what is what on the board.

Some brands of "compressed air" seem to have some freon in them anyway due to the expansion rate of freon. But if you use real freon it will put ice crystals nearly on the heat sink and keep the temp down long enough for my old draggy butt to see what is what. Strokes is it for sure.
RGone...

Last edited:
Ok so the TMPIN1 is definitely the NB. The compressed air idea worked like a charm. So the question is, what is a safe NB operating temperature? I'm still going to redo my thermal paste, and reroute a few cables that I now notice are in front of my CPU fan. At what point do I add cooling to my chipset?

I would not like to see NB over about 60c ish. Ish means to me maybe 3c more. My CHV does not go over 50c. The problem is not knowing how acccurate the temp really is. If is a reading from inside the chipset then it is likely just the NB heatsink and air that is the issue.

Congrats on spending the time to actually isolate which temp that was. None of the other users have bothered to sort it. Thanks man.
RGone....

So this(first pic) is how my rig has looked for the last 2 years running stable in it's stock settings.:-/

Second is the MoBo removed.

Third shows the thermal tape MSI used. Looks adequate but replaced with Zalman thermal grease instead. I believe the heat issue is actually with the design of the heatsink. It has a solid aluminium block directly over the chip with the vents on the sides. Looks really cool, but not as effective as it should be. Might replace it with this in the future.

The final pic is post re-wiring and re-pasteing. NB temp is reduced by about 4C at idle.

I think this concludes my research on this and hope this thread can be useful to someone. Now back to Dolk's Guide for me. Lets see what I can accomplish.

:comp:

Ah hah, I have seen heatsinks for the NB like that before. That picture is good but it does not show the perspective of how much that round copper monster hangs over or is close to the NB.

When I was faced with that NB cooler I used to remove completely the LOGO and put a 40mm fan on top OR I screwed a 50mm on their catty-cornered and used only two screws OR I stood a fan up using only two screws blowing thru the sides of the cooler and with your board mounted you would want the fan between the CPU cooler and the NB heatsink.

Actually the fan standing up blowing thru the side of the cooler seemed to drop the temps better than a 40mm blowing down. The 50mm mounted catty-cornered on top of the NB cooler did pretty darn good also.

I used to push the Pee out of some older boards and had to cool the NB to let it keep up with the rest of my overclock.
RGone...

attachment.php

I agree, pop the logo off of the NB heatsink. It'll help a lot with air flowing in.

Well, I have a 990FXA-GD65, which looks very much like yours, and the NB never goes over 48/50°C. Even with the NB (not CPU-NB) voltage set to 1.192v and a x6 [email protected].

Back