• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting to be New mobo time.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

so i'm getting an odd sudden bottle neck when playing games, nothing has changed in the computer in terms of drivers and things installed and what not it just in the past week when from running borderlands 2 really well to stuttering alot. today theres a horrible squeal starting up over the speakers that i didnt notice before

i have tried resetting my OC, running stock, drivers, bios, vga bios, all sorts of things and nothing is helping. temps are ok. video doesent make it over 60c, cpu doesent make it over 50C and is usually mid 40's underload playing a game.

i have been pushing this board pretty hard, 6 cores overclocked to 3.5Ghz for a while on a processor that started out as a quad at 2.8.

just thinking AM3+ despite what might be coming out soon so i can use my old processor and ram and everything and just swap the board out.

Looking for NO ASUS, good overclocker, atleast 2 PCI express 16x slots, both at full speed would be nice.

specs are in sig under the green

edit:
woah sig way out of date, fixing now

edit#2:
fixed for the most part, tweaking colors
speeds are down in an attempt to fix bad performance and general weriedness

Last edited:
I just picked up a 970A-G43, it has the two PCIe-16, a 1 second overclock which brought my Fx-6100 from 3.3 to 3.6 Not bad for just clicking one button and rebooting.. and if you dont like any setting one button reset.. and 1 button (enviro "save the trees hippie " setting) , graphic bios which is snazzy, So far I like it allot with my FX-6100

Maybe I should have went with the 970A-G45 - lossless HD Sound, because the sound was meh from this G43... I just updated the drivers last night so maybe it has improved. But I thought I should mention this.
Slots

• 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots
- PCI_E2 supports up to PCIe x16 speed
- PCI_E4 supports up to PCIe x4 speed
• 2 PCI Express 2.0 x1 slots
• 2 PCI slots, support 3.3V/ 5V PCI bus Interface.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G43.html#?div=Detail

EDIT... I just got schooled about this board... I take back my recommendation if you really need 2 GPU's running.

Last edited:
@ Niku-Sama. If these are actual real criteria >> just thinking AM3+ despite what might be coming out soon so i can use my old processor and ram and everything and just swap the board out.

Looking for NO ASUS, good overclocker, at least 2 PCI express 16x slots, both at full speed would be nice.

<< Then you have already shut your self out and away from the probably the two best AM3+ motherboards when you specify NO ASUS. The top two boards by experience for most of us that help here in the AMD mobo section and the AMD Cpu section are both by Asus. We have had to say to so many in the AMD Cpu section that their choice of motherboard was highly suspect and would never push an FX processor anywhere near its' max potential and they went to buy other boards. A two board buy experience is not the most highly recommended procedure. I guess some may like going that route but most seemed not to like such.

When you mention the preference for two PCIe x16 actual speed slots, you will need a board in the 990FX category anyway to allow the other long PCIe slot to be electrically x16 transfer speed.

So with what appears a 6 core thuban in your current rig, and not knowing if you ever plan to run an FX processor, and no Asus motherboards, you have severly limited anything that we might suggest as a full-fledged option for the AMD Vishera lineup of FX processor in the market today.
RGone...

after not getting any support on a P2 board (and i am talking about pentium 2) amongst having to fix alot of other problems for other people involving asus parts gone bad i just dont deal with their crap any more.

there are other motherboards out there that are as good or better than asus.

having touched 4 Ghz+ breifly on a Biostar bulit to only handle 4 cores not overlcocked is testament to that but biostar never has been one for longevitity, but its lasted longer than any thing asus i have ever owned.

its kind of like cars, i dont buy fords because all the ones we've had caught on fire...

MSI seems to be doing pretty well, have herd alot about ASrock since they are no longer controled by asus any more although i dont know if they are still a supplier

If you ever have any plans of uprading to a FX in the future and definately don't want Asus then go with the Higher end boards from the other suppliers. Here's a link that lays out the boards fairly well.

thats what i was thinking of, this biostar was pretty high end when i bought it, heavily cooled VRM is probably the only saving grace that its even working right now.

any way i dont understand the no asus thing, its not like i am saying no nvidia or intel or other large party core component maker, relativly open to those just havent gone with them due to costs and/or power usage problems (of the past)

any way i dont understand the no asus thing, its not like i am saying no nvidia or intel or other large party core component maker, relativly open to those just havent gone with them due to costs and/or power usage problems (of the past)

The no ASUS thing comes from our exerience here with the new FX chips. They are very demanding and power hungry.
This list was compiled by ssjwizard 5 of the boards are Asus

Motherboard % overclock *note1

Asus Crosshair V formula/z 99-100%
Asus Sabertooth R2.0 Gen 3*note4 99-100%
Asrock Fata1ity 990FX 99-100%
Asrock 990FX Ext9 99-100%
Asus Sabertooth R2.0 and Asus Sabertooth 990FX 97-99%
Gigabyte 990FX UD5 or UD7 97-99%
Asus M5A99X Evo or M5A99FX pro 95-97%
Gigabyte 970, 990X, 990FX UD3*note2/3 95-97%
Asus M5A97 Evo or any MSI 990(X/FX) 94-95%

If you do plan on going with an FXin the furure I would suggest you read the whole thread he put together.
This may help save you from buying 2 boards instead of 1 right now.

i didnt say any thing about changing to FX in the future. probably not going to at that rate, refinment needs to be done

i didnt say any thing about changing to FX in the future. probably not going to at that rate, refinment needs to be done

Well if you want two x16 PCIe slots that are actually electrically x16 at each slot then you need a 990FX motherboard. Period. 970 and 990X chipset boards will not be that way electically and transfer speed wise.
RGone...

Be sure to check and confirm your new mobo supports core unlocking.

There are plenty of 900 series boards that will unlock, but its not advertised and can be hit and miss. Research is key.

I would say go with another biostar AM3+ board, they've been rock solid for me in 3 builds to this point, but its just a suggestion. Hey if you don't want to go with Asus, that's fine, personal preference, what makes us all unique. There are plenty of other "players" in the mobo field and I'm sure you can find something that fits the bill for your existing hardware. Good luck in your search.

GA-990FXA-UD3 boards came in 5 Revisions with Rev 4.0 being the most current one. Rev 1.0, Rev. 1.1, Rev 1.2, Rev 3.0 and Rev 4.0.

The Rev 1.1 and 1.2 seemed fairly good boards for later high current draw cpus. The Rev 3.0 has been a pain to many. I have seen NO ONE in this forum posting about the newer Rev 4.0 board. Try it you might really like it. No way to know which Revision NewEgg still has in stock. With their turn over, they most likely are shipping the Rev 4.0 to their customers.
RGone...

argh that's why I didn't go with the asrock extreme because of funkiness.

is this the board where 1. to 1.2 were standard bios setups and 3.0 started with UEFI bios?

Somewhere in that range/revision. I have no issue at all with UEFI bios and like them just fine. It was a case of options in bios were lacking for FX processor hefty overclock. I doubt it makes much difference anyway, since they are going to have in stock what they have and I have never seen NewEgg go back and check their stock. Ah, never for me anyway.
RGone...

argh that's why I didn't go with the asrock extreme because of funkiness.

is this the board where 1. to 1.2 were standard bios setups and 3.0 started with UEFI bios?

Back