• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 970A-g43 opinions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XFXKilla

Registered
Hi New member, long time lurker.

I just picked up this MB for my fx-6100 cpu.
I would like some opinions on it from this forum.
Here is a link to the specs:

I purchased it, because I have a beer budget... and since my XFX780i MB with a Intel Duo Core 3.06 E7600 died ( overclocked to 3.33)
... ( Thus the forum name.)

How: ESD zapped my board via a crappy front panel microphone connection from my corsair 600T Case. :shock:

So far I am loving the FX-6100 stock was 3.3 that 1 second overclock feature hit 3.6 I am hoping to get higher.

I would like some opinions on the board... was shocked that there wasn't one about it.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G43.html#?div=Detail

My opinion . You are going to be very disappointed with it. Firstly it's very short in the power section. Second has no H/S on the vrm, Third it's an msi. We have seen nothing but trouble for owners of boards like this that try to run FX chips in them.

XFXKILLA said:
AMD 970A-g43 opinions?
I would like some opinions on the board... was shocked that there wasn't one about it.

If you mean that you see no real user base with that motherboard, then you are accurate. There are not. As that is the G43 version I think it was one of the MSI boards involved in the blow-up mosfet action over the last few years.

The G43 the best we can tell was superseded by the G45 and the G46. Neither of those boards according to forums that have an MSI following is recommended for FX processors. I was in the MSI forum the other day and the users there were recommending NO less than the GD65 or GD80 for the FX processor and from what we have seen of the GD65 they do very well with 4 core Deneb processors but certainly will not max out a 6core or 8core according to the users in the AMD Cpu Forum section where they all seem to come when their overclock seems slow compared to other users.

So opinion on the G43? I have no opinion but rather a solid preference and it would not every likely include a G43 for me. How it all works out for you is strictly a YMMV situation and good luck to you.
RGone...

PS: I saw you sort of hyping the G43 in another users thread. I saw you had this in the thread.
• 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots Only the topmost long PCIe slot is x16 transfer speed.
- PCI_E2 supports up to PCIe x16 speed
- PCI_E4 supports up to PCIe x4 speed
• 2 PCI Express 2.0 x1 slots

Some do not do well when it comes to really seeing writing. They only see the part about 2 long x16 PCIe slots and they do n0t see the actual working speed of the slots.
END PS.

Last edited:
damn, well I have a FX-6100 on that board. It's minor overclocked by the MB's bios "1 second overclock" feature. Which brought it from 3.33 to 3.6
I did a finger test and the VRM area was HOT. I could hold my fingers on it, but it was uncomfortable to say the least. This is actually my first Msi MB... I haven't gone back to AMD in a very long time. My budget called for beer not champagne... I hope I have atleast 1 years of service out of this board.

I hope I have atleast 1 years of service out of this board.

As we also hope for you. Keeping down to a farily reasonable 3.6 overclock done by the mobo itself, may give you service that you would not get if you went in and manually adjusted for 4.4Ghz like many of us run with FX processor. That extra speed forces the board to really work to maintain voltage and current to the FX and then there is the heat to remove from the cpu and subsequently remove to outside the case. Luck man.
RGone...

I didn't join overclockers.com to just hit one button for an overclock... I'm here for the FIRE :attn::attn::attn::attn:

My budget called for beer not champagne...

I hope I have atleast 1 years of service out of this board. > I'm here for the FIRE

Problematically the beer instead of champagne sort of cut the burner size down in going for the cpu mhz performance fire. However it is possible that instead of that years use, you could push it really hard and get out the FIRE extinguisher.

If I can hit 4.0, I'll be happy for the $ -to- overclock performance. Right now its fine for me too. I can play all the games/apps that I like without issue, and @ ultra quality graphics. This website forum is a great resource.
peace

Low-end MSI boards are really crappy for overclocking. I learned that the hard way.
Mine won't provide a stable voltage over 1.4v, and going over that voltage ended up killing my onboard audio (both front and rear), all of my frontpanel USB ports, and the devices that were connected to the ports/hubs when they died.

RIP 1st Gen Saitek Cyborg EVO. :cry:

That being said, I wish you luck with your new board, and I pray you don't kill anything.

Thanks for all of the opinions. So I have this FX-6100 chip if I wanted to upgrade the motherboard in the future. What are your suggestions?

I have 1 GPU, I might do SLI or Crossfire in the future.
Gamer, then watching Movies is main use of the computer.
I have 6 Black Cavier HD's for my movie collection... xbmc
I feel there is a shift towards Micro-ATX going on.
I just got a Corsair 600T case
Sound is very important to me... and I will admit the sound from this MB is nearly **** tier even with the upgraded drivers ( based on headphone use, 7.1 might be fantastic.)
I have to crank up the volume to hear anything allot of the time.

I'm always Going to root for the Sabretooth 990FX r2.0. Gen2. It's a great board. If you're not considering upgrading the CPU any time soon then The Asus M5A 990FX boards are pretty good and a little lees cash. If you're planning on the SLI in the future stick with the 990 fx chipset.
The M5A's only have 6 sata ports though where as the Sabretooth has 8

Back