• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gtx 480 Overclock lowering FPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gargant

Okay,

The default settings for the GTX 480 are (Core Clock/Mem Clock/Voltage), 700/1848/1.063.

Using Unigine Heaven Bench marker, I was able to get an over clock of 850/2000/1.100 and have it run with no artifacting.

But, when i was playing BF3, my default settings are getting higher FPS than my overclock settings. Whats going on here?

I'd say processor bottleneck...but that's really weird.

Your PSU may not be able to supply the necessary power for an OC'd 480, forcing it to run in low-power mode.

Last edited:
IMO, if you're getting worse performance with it overclocked, its not a stable overclock. If it were your CPU bottlenecking you, you'd see the SAME performance oc/stock IMO.

But, when i was playing BF3, my default settings are getting higher FPS than my overclock settings. Whats going on here?
This is a bad metric to base things off of as it is a moving target, especially in multiplayer (nothing is consistent and FPS can vary SIGNIFICANTLY from map to map and in the same MAP). Confirm your 'findings' on a canned benchmark like 3DMark or something like that. :thup:

If you still see that behavior on 3dMark or Unigine Heaven especially, perhaps your CPU is holding you back or you have an unstable overclcok. But you need to test against something that will give you the quality information you need to make that determination in the first place. ;)

Your PSU may not be able to supply the necessary power for an OC'd 480, forcing it to run in low-power mode.
It doesnt work that way... It takes what it can get. The GPU is not smart enough (at all, its dumb in fact) to say, "Hmmm, I'm not getting the power I need, perhaps I will downclock." It works, or it doesnt. ;)

Last edited:
I find that BF3 puts a greater stress on the GPU then Heaven does, there as Theocnoob said it may not be stable.

Ive run tons of heaven benchmarks while overclocking it. The control test gets a score of around a 740 score with extreme settings. The OC'd score is about 866 with no memory clock. With memory clock, a tad more core clock, and a bit of voltage increase, im getting 889.

So a static, repeatable benchmark is showing appropriate gains. That is good... seems like, it was just a perception of FPS in BF3 that caused you to feel this way. Seems fine to me!

I did an increase of 10mHz every time and ran a benchmark. It always increased. But, when i ran my final one with BF3, I also ran a FPS counter. It showed drops in my OC compared to default. The default would give me 50 fps when running and the OC would give me 20-30 when running in the exact same spot.

Exact same spot... on multiplayer? Song remains the same.

Try lowering the overclock a bit like others have said as it can be unstable. Otherwise, it really is best to not use BF3 MP to measure FPS.

Heaven craps out MUCH earlier than BF3 for me as far as clocks go... weird. :shrug:

I guess it all depends on the GPU ED my 5850 can run heaven at 1005/1155 ish but will crash at anything above 950/1145 in BF3. I've yet to test the 580 OCed in BF3. :shrug: x2

I guess.. though all gpus I used did that, lol!

I'm clueless to as why, you would probably be better at answering it then me. Maybe it has something to do with the drivers. My 5850 really doesn't like anything newer then catalyst 12.3, though 12.3 came after BF3 was released. Again :shrug: :)

Nonclue. I haven't tested in anything that old, but all reviews I have done were consistent that way really. Oh well! :)

Heaven is a decent benchmark for GFX but some of the titles out there now work a GPU much harder. When I first set up my SLI I used heaven 4 to test my OC's. All was well cards hit low 70's. Then I fired up FarCry 3 maxed out and within a few minutes my cards were at nearly 100c. Certainly made me rethink my strategy. I can't speak for BF3 but Metro, metro ll and Bioshock Infinite were all harder on my cards than the Heaven was.

Yeah. Metro 2033, BF3, and even far cry 3 seem to push my card harder than heaven can.

The main difference i see between these games and heaven is Vram usage. 2033 and Far Cry 3 both suck a TON of Vram when it comes to cranking up AA settings and what not... Never really got into BF3, id assume it's probably the same.

I had very little overclocking head room on my 480's when they had stock cooling... Once i got some water blocks on them that changed though. :attn:

Back