• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a CPU that runs HOTTTTT!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantomLlama

Heyo forum,

I am doing some thermal testing of CPUs and I am in the market for a processor that I can get to around 90 degrees Celsius consistently under full load.

If need be, I am willing to do some overclocking, however, I would prefer to avoid messing with voltages as much as possible.

The oldest I am willing to go is a 3rd generation i-series intel cpu.

I have been out of the processor market for a while but I assume there should be some processors that still get relatively hot since I am currently running and i5 750 overlocked to 4ghz which I can easily get into the low 90s.

Thanks and have a good one,
Bahama Obama Llama

Why might I ask are you looking for something that runs hot? Isn't that the opposite of what you should be wanting? :p

Haswell or Ivy with the stock cooler under 100% load will get close probably.

now when you Haswell or Ivy, are you just refering to any processor?

I am looking for more specifics if you can offer them.

In addition, I am open to the idea of an AMD chip, I just haven't messed around with them in a while.

And the reason I want something that runs hot is because the difference in performance between TIMs will become more obvious at higher temperatures if the test are done in a manner that is consistant.

Fair enough, If you got a 3770k or a 4670k and ran on the stock cooler, I can see both hitting 90+. Overclock to around 4.5 for an even better temp bump

Why not get a simulated processor?

Check out what FrostyTech does for their cooler reviews, something like that is what I'm thinking would be better (and way more consistent for you).

My 4770K throttled (>100C) on the stock cooler while running LinX if the voltage was set to auto.

Any quad core Ivy or Haswell CPU should be fine.

hey all,
just want to say thanks for pointing me in the right direction, your help was very much appreciated.

have a good one

Just reduce the cooling, even a 25w chip will run 90c if the cooling sucks.

Be aware that the TIM that is ideal for one cooler may or may not be ideal for another cooler.

The hottest AMD cpu I can think of back to a AM2+ platform was the 9950BE Agena core. K10 core stepping B3 140 watts outa the box. http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/A... Edition - HD995ZFAJ4BGH (HD995ZFAGHBOX).html

I de-lidded one of these bad boys to find a significant drop in temps at idle and at load. It was soldered, one of my first cpu's I ever de-lidded that had solder actually. Never benched it, but it did somewhere between 3-3.2ghz on liquid.

Just reduce the cooling, even a 25w chip will run 90c if the cooling sucks.

Be aware that the TIM that is ideal for one cooler may or may not be ideal for another cooler.

I have two separate heat sinks, one copper and one aluminum to do the comparison, but most TIMs should preform better on the copper ones.

I also considered doing this, reducing the cooling on some of the low power i3 processors I have laying around. The problem was getting it consistently to the same temperature every time, there was just too much variability. I then tried simply just turning the fan off, which made a very small temperature increase, not nearly as much as I needed.

This resulted and me just saying screw it, and opting for a hotter CPU

4770K on box cooler = ~90*C under full load in AIDA64 ( tested couple of days ago ) , 4670K should be similar
3770K on box cooler = ~80*C under full load and can make about 4-4.2GHz before it passes 95*C and start to throttle

or like Bobnova already said , better/cheaper will be i3 cpu that you have , turn off C1/3 and EIST and set fan to lower speed .... but you need cpu with max temps ~100*C or it will shut down/throttle at lower temps ( detailed specs on Intel website )

Back