• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Orange Cold Cathode?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobTheGoldfish

Registered
Does anyone know where i can get an orange coloured one from? All i can find on places like pcmods.com is red (a pinky one) and yellow. And no i dont fancy buying both to mix the colour :)

Or will i just have to get a white one and then get a orange filter?

Also any UK peeps know where i can get electircal components (LEDs, switches, spring clips) apart from mail order cos i wanna make a baybus (pcmods is too expensive!)

so far from looking, i can only find cold cathodes in these colors. Red, blue, green, white, black (black light), purple. Sorry, no orange, but if you do find it, post a link yeah?? thanks

man I remember this one place that sold covers for CCs but now I l am forgetting the site and don't think I bookmarked it. it sold red protective tubes and get a yellow CC and it would look orange I bet.

Ah excellent, perfect size too (4 inch too small, 12 too big :) )

What other stuff do i need for it??
Inverter, switch, molex connection (or i can just solder it together), protective case... that it??

Is putting in this cold cathode light expensive? I want to do this (and put a window in also) and I'm just curious of what the price would be. What is everything you would need?

BobTheGoldfish said:
Ah excellent, perfect size too (4 inch too small, 12 too big :) )

What other stuff do i need for it??
Inverter, switch, molex connection (or i can just solder it together), protective case... that it??

You'll need to get one of the inverters they sell, a switch and molex connector. You'll have to solder the input and output connections. I have been putting mine into project boxes from Radio Shack. I ordered a bunch of clear tubing and caps to make cases for these

Garfield, figure on about $13-17 for parts(CCFL, inverter, switch, case, molex)

When I get done with the tubing for my own, I'll probably make up a bunch of protective covers cut to size for those who need them.

Pretty straighforward. Just follow the orientation from the spec sheet, heatshrink your connections on the CCFL, make sure you have enough wire to reach where you have to get your switch to. A little preplanning of your layout helps there.

Back