• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Performance improvement w/ a different PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andjayik

Registered
Will i notice any performance increase with my current psu enermax EG565P-VE and if i install a Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W and or Seasonic X-760 Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold 760W PSU ?

Last edited:
IMHO, no. Looks like from the hardware in your signature that your still way lower then your rated watts and remember the rated isn't where you want to be running. I think pc parts picker has a area where you can enter all your hardware and they will suggest a wattage for a power supply, but its usually on the low side in my book, I would rather have it and never need it, then need it and not have it. NOW on the other part of that you will run a little cooler with a PSU only working half as hard to provide your system then one right at the edge of your limit. and since heat is the enemy.... I am running way more then I need, would rather run a PSU at 50% with less heat then a 600 watt running towards the upper end of its limits with all that heat. Also look forward a little and see if your done with your mods, is there going to be a liquid cooler in your future...(thats what I am deciding now) more fans? More Processor? A amd 8350 is typically over 30% more heat by design then the 95 watt 6300, and who knows whats next for them. Also how hard are you going to run yours? I will be happy with a rock solid 4.4-4.6, so define your goals and these people on here are the best for helping. advise and not to much BS.

i just went with the Seasonic X-760 Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold 760W as my old enermax still had a prescott 4 sticker on it and someone told me that it does'nt power my video card all the way. So i would like to run it at least 4.5ghz and have it now 4.2. So i think i rater have a bit more juice and efficiency like u said.

Will i notice any performance increase with my current psu enermax EG565P-VE and if i install a Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W and or Seasonic X-760 Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold 760W PSU ?
Nope, not at all. Power is power, having cleaner or more power available does not change anything's performance at the same speed.

That setup, overclocked to the hilt wont break 400W. I would happily run that PSU on a QUALITY 500W PSU. Just a note, I am running a 4.5Ghz 3570K with a GTX 690 on a 500W PSU with zero issues. A lot of the power needs are over hyped. Your GPU is like 116W MAX (you wont hit that unless you run Furmark), your CPU stock is 125W (200 overclocked). Add 100W for water, fans, drives, case lights, whatever and that is being VERY generous... 416W at most. ;)

At least with the 760 you purchased, you have headroom if you wanted to upgrade the video card or even two for that matter.

Wattage rating is still the MAX rating, to me running 416 watts on a 500 watt PSU would be running it at 80% all the time, then under a full load you would see higher, I think its a smart move to run i little more efficient.

If a psu can't handle 80% of its load for its warrantied life, I don't want it. A quality psu will easily run 80% of its load. A quality psu should tun its 100% load for its warrantied life (I wouldnt do that only for noise reasons).Also think how often are you actually running that load... On top of that 416 watts IS the full load worst case. Under gaming, that would be another 50+ watts less. Last, 80% is still in the efficiency wheelhouse of psus. ;)

IMHO...The problems with running it that close to the limit means next upgrade of any part also means the upgrade of a PSU. And I wouldn't recommend to any of my customers to run a PSU that hard for any length of extended time. That is the problem with OEM builds they put in psu's rared just about the system limits, so the first time the customer wants better video, new psu, more fans and better then stock cooling for a cpu, new psu. I woud rather run 30% of rated (which I am) and pump less heat into my case and if I decide I want to add a sli, or crossfire setup I am covered and still less then 50% of load rating. easier to crack that nut when you can then rather then throw the price of a new psu on top of whatever upgrade.

Back