• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a good monitor to match my superb gaming computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1337xir

Registered
I have these two in mind (if you have the time, check out the reviews):

Samsung 27"

Asus 24"

Background Info: I am a music producer as well as a gamer and I enjoy video editing as a hobby. I am aware that TN monitors are better suited for gaming whereas S-IPS are more suited for video editing and other similar tasks or even to have a nicer display but doesn't have a quick response time as the TN monitors.

My question is how much does it matter? Will it make a noticeable difference if I play my games on an S-IPS monitor rather than a TN monitor?

I think this is enough information to start a discussion.

personally, I don't like 27" 1080p monitors, too large and not enough pixels
S-IPS panels offer excellent color reproduction, better than TN panels.
TN panels are popular, because they offer a lower price point and look great.
I don't notice any slower response time using my IPS panel.

My recommendation is get a good 24" TN panel and save some money.
That Asus looks like a great choice!

personally, I don't like 27" 1080p monitors, too large and not enough pixels
S-IPS panels offer excellent color reproduction, better than TN panels.
TN panels are popular, because they offer a lower price point and look great.
I don't notice any slower response time using my IPS panel.

My recommendation is get a good 24" TN panel and save some money.
That Asus looks like a great choice!

Thank you for an informative comment. I may have mistakenly said IPS instead of LPS maybe? I know that there is another technology that offers amazing quality although the response times are 5-10MS.

I was thinking of getting a 24" just for the reason you mentioned. Later when I have the money and technology will improve a bit I will purchase a 1600 monitor.

I read some of the Cons people posted and some of them worry me (the Asus one) if it was about 100 dollars I wouldn't think twice but it's a bit pricey so I need to find out whether the Cons are legitimate or just written by people who don't know what they are talking about.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009483

I very highly recommend this monitor. Good pixel density (1080p on 23"), IPS panel, and a really thin bezel which goes great for multi-monitor setups. And for only $20-30 more than a comparable LCD panel monitor. I bought one to replace my older LCD monitor, and now I'm buying another one :D

tl;dr Want HD IPS monitors on the cheap? Click the link.

Thanks for the share. Is it ok to trust Acer though?
I will end up needing 3 monitors by the way (they should all be the same size)

Acer has subpar build quality on a lot of their products, but this one is an exception. The build quality in the monitor and stand is much better than my previous one. The only things missing are some holes in the back for mounting if that's something you must have. Other than that, it's the best monitor in that price range I've seen.

Back