• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphics Upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Censored

Registered
Hey everyone,

First of all, this is my first post here! :clap:

My initial situation is my dilemma on putting more money in to my laptop or saving to buy/build a desktop in the future. I am more concerned with long-term benefits versus short-term.

Here's the low down on my rig:

Dell Studio 1535
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GHz 2.50GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series

It's not much of a gaming rig, but this is the best computer I own to play games. To give a bit of perspective, it runs World of Warcraft pretty well on all low settings. I only get lag when I enter high-profile cities where there are a lot of other players. I believe that lag comes from the graphics card. I'm also below the minimum requirements for Diablo 3. :cry:

I still have the original battery that came with the laptop and it is now dead. If I choose to continue using this laptop as my main computer, then I will need to replace it as well.

Some people find the "Windows Experience Index" useful while others find it useless. Mine is at 4.0 due to my lowest subscore: graphics. Game graphics, however, is rated at 5.4.

I'm posting this in the laptop forum because I'm also looking for general opinions from others on my laptop and decisions that I am about to make. These decisions cost money and I am a full-time student with a part-time job.

So what are you all thinking?
  • Buy a new graphics card, replace the battery, and continue using this laptop for gaming purposes
  • Start saving in order to buy or build a desktop with it's primary use being games

If you need any other information, don't hesitate to just ask! Thanks in advance. :)

Have you verified that your laptop has the option of having the graphics card replaced? Sometimes you just can't.

Anyhow, I wouldn't invest much. If you get a much better graphics card, then it's gonna be your CPU dragging your gameplay.

I'm not sure if it does have the option of having a graphics card. It's a moot point now because my concern is the same as yours: the CPU dragging it down. Looks like I need to just go ahead and invest in a new computer. :p

Not that you could replace your GPU even if you wanted, that laptop is a Dell and they don't use standard (MXM) graphics slots. In fact, I think your Studio 15xx does not even have a GPU slot; the GPU is soldered on-board.

Thanks txus.palacios and dostov. After some research, it would seem that you are right txus. It is integrated, so there is nothing I can do. Thanks for the guidance though!

Back