• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus m5a97 vs Crosshair V Formula-Z

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bumpypillow

Hi everyone,
So this is my build
MoBo- Asus m5a97 bios UEFI v 1401
Cpu- fx 4100
Heat Sink- Thermaltake V1 2000 rpm
PSU- Top power zu-750w
Gpu- Sparkle geforce 9600
Ram- G skill 8gb
This is my first build, and I am really happy with it. Going to be getting a new Gpu soon, I know mines out of date.

Now for my question Is the Crosshair mobo worth 130$? Thats how much more it cost over my current mobo. All input is welcome, would like to hear some pros and cons of the two boards.

It is not worth the upgrade if you are asking for pros and cons.

Pretty much the only pros of the ROG boards are overclocking. But not your standard air or water overclocking. I am talking LN2/DICE/SS overclocking. Subzero. Frosty enough to burn you.

Save those $130 and get a nice GPU. These days motherboards are overrated, as long as you pick a quality one with the chipset you need, it'll be good to go.

If that board is working for you, then keep it. BUT it's a very low powered board and if you consider upgrading your CPU to a 6 or 8 core you will need a better board. Not necessarily the crosshair but something with more beef to it.

Thanks, the goal is to get the fx 8350. Will my board handle it? If not can you tell me some mobo's that will. (I like ASUS by the way)

The m5a97 will struggle with an FX8350.

For that processor you'll want to look at boards with at least an 8+2 VRM. The Sabertooth 990fx Gen 2 is a good board.

That's a good solid board. The R2 gen3 is having some issues at the moment so avoid that one. But I can vouch for the one Zebodog and I are using.

bumpypillow if a 8350 is your goal then have a read of this post. Another thing to note is they draw a lot of power and they require a quality heatsink if the goal is to overclock.

Caddi Daddi actually tested his FX-4170 on an M5A07 R2.0 motherboard but he could not get beyond about 4.2Ghz with the FX-4170 and do so with absolute stability. He could not get absolutely stable beyond about 4.2Ghz with the M5A97 R2.0 board he said because the Vcore would not remain stable supplying all the needed power to the FX cpu. YMMV. Oh by the way, that same FX-4170 runs stable at 4.9Ghz on his Sabertooth R1.0 and his CHV R1.0. Just thought I would add that before I forgot.
RGone...

Back