• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sluggish SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Berne

Hi,
Is there a programe I can run to ensure best performance of my SSD? I use CC CLeaner and ASCARE.

Page loading is slow and even home page is slow to show?

Scrolling of pages is also sluggish and delayed?

Do SSD need to be regularly defragged and what is best programe for that ?

Regards,

Berne

XPHOME
4G Mem
SSD Sam 120GB

Your SSD has nothing to do with your internet performance (page loading, scrolling).

SSD's NEVER need defragged in the traditional sense. That said, you are on XP and that doesnt support TRIM (Vista/7/8 do). The drive should have some idle time 'garbage collection' which helps keep the drive in top shape and it does it on its own.

XP + SSD = not the best idea really.

Which SSD specifically? Samsung has many out.

Hi,

Samsung SSD 840 series. Im so used to XP over the years....the thoughts of having to learn how to do everything again with say 7 or 8 just is a no brainer......BUT .....having said that .....SSD seems to need 7 or 8 ?

Using Explorer 8.....there are some dedicated XP sites out there, might be worth a browse.

Berne

Berne

You know its about to become unsecure to use XP, as Microsoft is dropping all support.

Grab a copy of 7, its pretty nice, much better than XP ever was.

Looks like Ill have to move with the times.....so G31-ES2L motherboard.....not sure if 7 will run on this , and if I need 32 or 64 ......also seems OEM is best bet for my homebuild?

Berne

What processor? That determines 32-bit or 64-bit.

Edit: I see driver support for Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit on Gigabyte's page for your motherboard.

sounds like video drivers to me. or smooth scrolling is disabled in your browser.

Hi,

Here is a txt fo my spec .

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name CLIMATE (Climate)
User Name user

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2933 MHz (6 x 489)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 3328 MB
BIOS Type Award Modular (08/09/10)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Radeon X1650 Series Secondary (1024 MB)
Video Adapter Radeon X1650 Series (1024 MB)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (95LMTF075483)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio Device
Audio Adapter Intel 82801GB ICH7 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive Samsung SSD 840 Series (111 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive Optiarc DVD RW AD-5240S
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 114463 MB (98288 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (192.168.0.2)

Berne

Wow, a Pentium III? X1650 GPUs? Time for a system upgrade. That SSD is crippled running on SATA1/2 and in IDE mode (needs to be AHCI for best results).

I really think its time to start saving for a new PC.

Wow, a Pentium III? X1650 GPUs? Time for a system upgrade. That SSD is crippled running on SATA1/2 and in IDE mode (needs to be AHCI for best results).

I really think its time to start saving for a new PC.

+1

That SSD can't stretch its legs with equipment that aged. (Would that even have an AHCI mode?)

I think so, because you can enable it post install on XP....

That said, I hope that motherboard is at least SATA2 otherwise, it doesnt matter much what mode its in as it will be SEVERELY crippled (but likely still better than a HDD).

I think so, because you can enable it post install on XP....

That said, I hope that motherboard is at least SATA2 otherwise, it doesnt matter much what mode its in as it will be SEVERELY crippled (but likely still better than a HDD).

Yeah, but that equipment is older than XP. P3 Xeon released in 1999 unless I'm mistaken.

Hi ,

The CPU is a recent upgrade and Everest seems to be reading my cpu spec wrong.

My CPU is an Intel Core Duo E6500.....but still I get the general idea, start saving for an all around upgrade and use the SSD spec as a base for a new moby , memory, ect......how about the Win 7...should I go full version retain instead of OEM? Many thanks to all contributers.

Berne

It's not a PIII Xeon.

edit: I'm too slow...

It will run Win7 just fine - I've run 7 on both PIII Tualatin (440BX) and P4 Northwood (i865) systems and it's fine for office/browsing/etc. My P4 system has a Corsair SandForce SSD which really does improve performance.

Hi,

Here are the cpu and moby spec.....

Attachments

• CPU-Z.JPG
    CPU-Z.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 82
  • MOBY.JPG
    MOBY.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 82
how about the Win 7...should I go full version retain instead of OEM?

It's really personal preference. OEM is always cheaper, but can only be installed on a single motherboard. You can use it to reformat as many times as you like on the same computer, but it won't be good once you upgrade your motherboard.

The retail version allows all hardware upgrades on as many different computers, but only ONE at a time.

Here is a quote directly from the Microsoft Support Forums:

"OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system"

Hi,

Here are the cpu and moby spec.....

I almost got an E6500, or that Wolfdale E6300. They should OC to about 4.0 easily.

(A 2006-style E6300 would suck! You would be lucky to get a paltry 2.9 Ghz with the 2006-style version, and that would likely require a P45 just to get to 2.9!)
(Especially because the old E6300 has only 7 for the multi.)

Will be easier than an E8400, because of the high multi.
Should be an easy OC, even with a P43.

TBH, the E6500 would be home to an Asus P5QL Pro.

Last edited:
Hi,

Finally will this board take Win7 OEM installed onto my SSD...after deleting XP and need it be 32 or 64bit?

Berne

Last edited:
Back