• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Migrating Raid5 From MVG to MVE Failed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the Storage section, decided on here as the issue looks to rely on motherboards...

Hi all, I am trying to migrate an 8(6)TB (4x2TB) RAID5 array from a Maximus V Gene to a Maximus V Extreme.

I am running the latest (1803) BIOS on the MVE and the drives show up in the RAID configuration page, but show up as non-member drives. They were working just fine in the RAID before I powered down and did the motherboard swap. I can't imagine there being a separate actual raid controller on the two Z77 boards of the same line of products, or am I off base for that? Rebuilding the array is a last resort as it has about 4.5TB of data stored so I will have to swap motherboards back, backup the data somehow, then swap and start over.

It shouldn't matter which order the 4 drives are plugged into the 4 RAIDed ports should it?

Thanks for your help!

Assuming that the new controller can read the old controller's configuration, you would need to import the old array. Most controllers will not do this for you and it is an explicit command. I don't have enough experience with on board RAID controllers to tell you if that is possible with that board. With RAID cards, it certainly is.

If the new controller is different enough it can't read the configuration, you are out of luck. You would need to move the data off the array, recreate the array on the new board, then move the data over.

Hmm, good to know/think about.

I thought it would work as previously I had a RAID0 on an Marvell controller (x58) and carried it over to my MIVE and it continued to work.

Looks like I may have to commandeer borrow our test Drobo from the office and start copying files off :(

I suppose this answers the question of why it is good to have a dedicated RAID card or a NAS-specific device.

One of many limits of onboard. Nice thing about ZFS is your array is recognized no matter what controller you used originally, or plan to use. Don't even need to plug the drives in in the same order.

Ugh, day only gets worse.

Swapped the drives back to the Gene and they still don't show up in the RAID (all show as non-member disks)

Go through and I found a picture that I took on my phone of the array after I set it up, moved the cables into the order as best as I can tell from the picture, still no go.

So now I am trying to follow: http://www.overclock.net/t/478557/howto-recover-intel-raid-non-member-disk-error

Those instructions for recovering the data, too bad analyzing the cylinders is going to take days as this rate because of the size of the array (currently at 900/729602 and has been going for about 20 minutes...). I also hope that raid volume name I told it to be after re-creating it is the correct one after I had to re-create it to follow the steps, or I'm even more screwed.

Yeah, I'm definitely considering biting the bullet and just buying a 4bay synology setup and calling it a day.

Are you using the intel onboard raid? I've migrated my onboard intel raid 10 from the board that it was created on (abit ip35-pro) to another board (msi p67a-gd65) and back to the original board without problems. I even moved it all willy nilly without maintening same drive order or ports. Each time the intel chipset picked it up and knew what to do with it.

Man what a drag. If I ever decide to build a large raid array, I'm goin' with a card.

Give me one good reason? There are alot of software based RAID systems that work just as well as a several hundred dollar card option.

But if the software/OS for the RAID dies aren't you in trouble then?

I'm still learning about software RAIDs though, I setup a test ESXi VM (too late now) 2TB ZFS FreeNas solution on a test poweredge server I have at home that was already built with RAID5 on a DRAC card. Would that not be the way to go?

But if the software/OS for the RAID dies aren't you in trouble then?

I'm still learning about software RAIDs though, I setup a test ESXi VM (too late now) 2TB ZFS FreeNas solution on a test poweredge server I have at home that was already built with RAID5 on a DRAC card. Would that not be the way to go?

neither ZFS through something like omnios, openindiana, freenas, nor any linux mdadm based raid require a specific controller. Disks can be moved to a new system, plugged in in any order, and imported with no issue.

Truly the way to go for the majority of us home users.

So say I wanted to continue to run my ESXi box on my poweredge server, but also wanted to do a ZFS solution. Would it work to put FreeNAS/etc onto a VM on the ESX box or how would you handle that?

So say I wanted to continue to run my ESXi box on my poweredge server, but also wanted to do a ZFS solution. Would it work to put FreeNAS/etc onto a VM on the ESX box or how would you handle that?

Absolutely it would. You just want to pick up an IBM M1015 card with IT firmware, pass that through to the VM (assuming your server supports IOMMU or vt-d), and you're golden. Then you just have to make sure you're using vmxnet3...as detailed here:

http://blog.cyberexplorer.me/2013/03/improving-vm-to-vm-network-throughput.html

Edit:

Decided to go ahead and close out this thread and create a separate one in the Storage section that way the topics don't get confused.
New thread:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733873

Long-story short regarding the raid migration/recovery issue in this thread, nothing has appeared to work. I'm messing with DiskInternals raid recovery software but it isn't looking promising. TestDisk couldn't recover anything for me.

Last edited:
Quick update.

Using the combination of RunTime Raid Reconstructor and GetDataBack for NTFS

I have (from what I can tell) been able to fully recover all of the files from the RAID (currently recovering to a separate server that I borrowed).

I plan to make a FlexRaid setup once everything gets finished (about a TB left I think)

Quick update.

Using the combination of RunTime Raid Reconstructor and GetDataBack for NTFS

I have (from what I can tell) been able to fully recover all of the files from the RAID (currently recovering to a separate server that I borrowed).

I plan to make a FlexRaid setup once everything gets finished (about a TB left I think)

I have yet to try FlexRaid. once I went virtual I was hooked.

Back