• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xxmrbarniexx

Registered
Hey guys, i am on a budget and would like to know if i should upgrade anything in my rig. My limit is $300.
Specs:
Case:CM storm 1 Midtower
PSU:Corsair GS 800
CPU: AMD FX- 6200 3.8 ghz stock OCed to 4.4 ghz
GPU: Gigabyte 7970 OC 3gb
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 AM3+ AMD 990FX
Ram: 8gb( 4gb x 2) AMD High performance ram
HD: 1TB western digital green.

I want to upgrade anything but the HD because i still have 400 gbs unused and other spare hard drives.
1. Maybe the new AMD FX 5 ghz processor but i do not know the price of it or how to get it.
2. Maybe ill invest into 32 GB of nice high speed ram.
3. Maybe i get a nice big case.
4. I get watercooling, but i would need a case also then.
5. Get another 7970 but i am ok with the FPS i am getting.
6. Get a 32 GB SSD to put windowd on.
7. Your suggestions.

Also if you suggest, for example choice 3, please give the name of the item or a link to it please. Thanks.

What about an SSD, typically you want a 120GB or 240GB size so you have room for games/Windows/programs.

Samsung 840 Pro is the go-to SSD right now.

I wont put that many games on the SSD, just windows, google chrome, other small programs and 1-2 games at the MOST. I decided for this 60 gb SSD. I think ATA 6.0 Gb-s is the fastest but i am not sure. Please confirm what speed is the fastest.

http://www.amazon.com/Mushkin-Chron...ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1371960345&sr=1-6

That leaves me with $240. Any other suggestions?
I also know nothing about SSDs so i am probably wrong. but i want it to move an 10 gb game within 1 minute or so, if i need a faster speed one just name one and ill look at it.

Last edited:
I would go for the 120GB personally, as its only $30 more for double the storage (trying to get the most for your money) and it really doesn't take long to fill up 120GB.

What monitor are you using? You could grab a really nice monitor in the $200 range.

I did not see the 120 gb one for only $30 more. I will order it. That leaves me with $200 left.

My current monitor is a SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER S23B550. I want three monitors but i think that can wait though. When i get the three monitors i will replace the Samsung with three of these:

http://www.amazon.com/AOC-i2367Fh-2..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1EV7DE4RT1KTSQQQAA7Q

I know the bezel is small but there is a decent fram but i think its a pretty nice monitor for eyefinity. Any other suggestions? Do you think i should get a nice $200 case or maybe get the new amd processor( the 5 ghz one).
I could save a little more for a processor and always resell the fx-6200.

Yeah, I see it on Newegg for $100.

What CPU cooler are you using? If its a lower end cooler, you could get something like a Phanteks PH-TC14PE or Noctua NH-D14. Or even a Corsair H100i, if you have room in your case for it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Univers...8988702&skuId=9462609&st=CPU cooler&cp=1&lp=1 is my cooler.

I do not have room for a H100i. I had a h80i but it was faulty and i was dissapointed. The fan spins at 3600 rpm for my cpu cooler. It is noisy but i do not care because i have headphones on.
So no coolers. At 100% load 4.4 ghz on a fx-6200 i get about 72 c max. i want it lower but i do not want to spend money for a cooler for a couple of degrees.

NVM about the 5 ghz processor as i just seen it is $800.

It'll be more than a few degrees. I dropped 5-7C from my old Xigmatek Loki. That drop was running 3.8GHz on the Loki in Prime95, and running 4.0GHz with the Noctua in Prime95.

I can run 4.2GHz daily and never see 50C gaming.

for those prices, wouldnt it be better if i got a Corsair h80i, another one that works this time? When i used it, it was very loud (i do not care though because of headphones) and at 100% load it never passed 50c. also, if i get this and it works, will i be able to overclock more, possible to 5 ghz or 4.8 with increased voltage? I am currently on 1.312v, if i increase more, tempts get too hot. i am hoping to increase too 1.437v or is that crazy?

The NH-D14 performs about the same as an H80i. You'd have to jump to the H100i to see a gain over either of the air coolers I mentioned.

If you want something really good, check out the Swiftech H220. Its an expandable loop, but still an AIO.
Basically, if you want to add into the AIO later, you can with standard water cooling parts, if not then you can just run it as it is!

If i add another hundred dollars, is there a amazing case that can fit that swiftech h220 with lots of room. so leaving me with $150 for a case. BTW, is that the very best watercooler out there?? i want the VERY best for a reasonable price.

OBV liquid nitrogen is out of the question as my baby cousins could hurt themselves. I will buy a watercooler up to $250 or so. I can save money overtime but it would take a while as i am only 15.

First off, LN2 isn't a daily cooling solution. Its just not feasible.

Unless you go to custom WC, the H220 is the best you'll get in the water world. Its a great performance to cash ratio, as well as upgrade-able later.

Before we run down the road to water cooling try to take a look at these posts first, they should give ideas for what type of cooler you want!! AJ. ;) :thup:

1, http://www.funkykit.com/component/c...ew-phanteks-ph-tc12dx-cpu-cooler.html?start=1

2, http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Phanteks/PH-TC14PE/6.html

The reason for the second post as it gives you a full range of coolers to compare against each other at various Temps. Not only that if you find one you like then you can check it out by reading a full review! :attn:

Then as in the reviews it will say what size it is, then you can see if it will fit! :salute:

Thanks alot but i will go with the Swiftech H220 and i will expand it to watercool my GPU.
Thanks.

Read up on the watercooling stickies before modifying the loop, to make sure you have a good understanding of how it all works.

Mr Barnie, spend the whole $300 on a good SSD. You'll see the single biggest performance increase to your PC vs any other part or upgrade you could possibly buy.
Get something good quality like a Samsung 840 Pro. 256GB.

Back