• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE SanDisk Extreme II 240 GB SSD Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

It has been a while since I have had the opportunity to review a SSD, and never have I reviewed a SanDisk SSD before. Normally SanDisk tends to play in the OEM arena including laptops and such, but since their Extreme SSD and now, what we have for review, the SanDisk Extreme II, they are broadening their horizons and continuing their drive in to the performance segment. We will dissect the drive and see how it does against some more, familiar to the performance market, drives.
... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have the 120gb extreme 1.

i ran ATTO just to compare and the extreme II is faster at 64k and below. after that they match up pretty closely.

crystal mark the extreme 2 shows a lot better. here were my results if interested.
Read/Write
SEQ: 506.1/132.3
512k: 412.6/132.1
4k: 35.78/74.01
4k QD32: 216.8/116.2

Last edited:
I'm interested in seeing a comparison of the very latest SSD's, including this and the newly released Seagate 600 series.

nice review Joe. I have a Sandisk extreme usb flashdrive that I wouldnt trade for any other model, that thing is stinking fast. Sandisk is making some strides for sure

Write Expectancy

You mention an 80TB Write Expectancy. Where did you get this info? I cant find it on any of the SanDisk docs. And what does it mean? The long-term writeability of these things scares me. They are touted as a replacement for a PC's normal hard-drive, but has anyone tried writing 80TB of data in random amounts, to random locations on one of them? And how long is it, under normal use, before 80TB actually gets written? Do we know how much behind the scenes writing goes on in the creation of temporary files, web caches, cookies etc.

I believe also, it isnt the quantity of data that matters, but the number of times a particular block of disk is erased (they have to be erased in order to overwrite 1's with zeros). So thousands of tiny writes may be much worse than a few giant ones, if they happen to hit the same area of disk.

I'm not knocking the devices, I just dont think we are being given the whole picture. Maybe a review is an opportunity to run one of these to 'write destruction' and see just what it does.

As I've heard said before 'we can now lose more data faster than ever...'

Cheers,
Terry

Welcome!

That was in their marketing materials I received IIRC.

There is testing all over the web on this type of drive (with MLC NAND) that have beat up a drive writing TB's of data at a day to see when they die. The results are quite positive from the couple I have seen, and some were even on TLC (lower write expectancy) too.

As far as temp/page files... that worry was around a few years ago when SSD's were in their infancy, but it hasn't been an issue. To move your pagefile or temporary internet files off your SSD is being overly paranoid.

As always, a proper backup procedure mitigates any issues.

Let me gather a link or two of that testing...(for reference, I googled "SSD write testing")

http://techreport.com/review/25320/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-22tb-update
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6459/samsung-ssd-840-testing-the-endurance-of-tlc-nand
http://us.hardware.info/reviews/417...0-250gb-tlc-ssd-updated-with-final-conclusion

Back