• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-4960x ivy bridge-e delid pictures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hawat

On this chinese forum it seems a user delid their 4960x and it appears that there is a white paste over the cpu.
Google translate didn't help much unfortunately to make sure of that, it seems that the process have completely destroyed the cpu under the cover though so I was wondering if is this actually soldered like the older intel cpus or is it actually the same paste used as on the regular version of the ivy bridge.

Edit: It seems that the cpu is indeed soldered and that the white paste is solder.

kL6N67O.jpg
85r1i2n.jpg
ZnOF6xh.jpg

Last edited:
oops, didnt see your thread, I started a new one, someone can move my post here....it is soldered, he used a heat gun and still had to pry...killed his cpu.

People can easily remove a soldered IHS without killing the chip, his is most likely dead because of all the capacitors around the chip that he destroyed.

Probably so that more enthusiast stick to those more expensive cpu instead of their mainstream stuff.

Solder is expensive. TIM is cheap.
Soldering is expensive, sloping is cheap.
IB at stock have absolutely no need for solder, Intel only needs them to live at stock.

Back